Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

visibilityunlimited:
Everyone seems top be talking from an emergency responder point of view. What would you want to happen if you were the patient?

I don't see questioning who to call first as disrepecting the value of life. Its my own life I am thinking about here. Yes, I would be in debt forever if it meant living but the purpose of paying DAN ahead of time is to alleviate this. Its two different arguments and questions. One "what is the value of a life" and two "why should one have supplemental emergency insurance that is not valid in a true emergency".

I am looking at this from the perspective of a diver who is paying a monthly fee for piece of mind should an incident occur only to find out that if proper procedure isn't followed I will not be covered. If in a true emergency someone calls rescue other than DAN and I am airlifted without DAN arrangements and have to pay a lot of money, why do I use their insurance at all? Its a false piece of mind as ahead of time I feel covered and protected but am realizing that I might not be. An insurance company that requires procedures that may not be in the best interest of the patient doesn't seem right.

I may be off base here but everything I am reading is saying you MUST call DAN to arrange ANY kind of transport if you want it covered. DAN also states that one should call 911 of coast guard if it is a life threatening emergency for immediate airlifting/rescue. DAN then states that immediate rescue not arranged through them will not be covered. So DAN is in essence by this reasoning stating that they do not cover emergencies since they recommend emergencies be handled through 911/CG and they do not reimburse for this. Why exactly do I have their insurance then?

I've been trying to find actual facts from DAN on this but am coming to a dead end and have only found what I've posted so far. Does anyone have the final facts on how to handle emergencies where time is of the essence and get it to be covered?

Miranda

i was taught in my NAUI RESCUE CLASS to call "PIZZA PIZZA"

but i think what it really shows is use some common sense depending on the situation. if you're training in a pool, call "PIZZA PIZZA" - if your in North America, call 911
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9-1-1
Outside the U.S. and Canada, 911 doesn't work in most countries. The most common emergency numbers are 110, 112 and 999. 911 is used so pervasively in U.S. and Canadian media and safety education, in the case the materials are exported to countries which emergency number is not 911, the countries sometimes had difficulty in educating children not to dial 911 for help

- let THEM figure out to call USCG or DAN or.......

if you're in Bora Bora, well, as other's have said.... YOU should know who the FIRST RESPONDERS are.......

cinder4320:
I don't see questioning who to call first as disrepecting the value of life. Its my own life I am thinking about here. Yes, I would be in debt forever if it meant living but the purpose of paying DAN ahead of time is to alleviate this. Its two different arguments and questions. One "what is the value of a life" and two "why should one have supplemental emergency insurance that is not valid in a true emergency".

I am looking at this from the perspective of a diver who is paying a monthly fee for piece of mind should an incident occur only to find out that if proper procedure isn't followed I will not be covered. If in a true emergency someone calls rescue other than DAN and I am airlifted without DAN arrangements and have to pay a lot of money, why do I use their insurance at all? Its a false piece of mind as ahead of time I feel covered and protected but am realizing that I might not be. An insurance company that requires procedures that may not be in the best interest of the patient doesn't seem right.

I may be off base here but everything I am reading is saying you MUST call DAN to arrange ANY kind of transport if you want it covered. DAN also states that one should call 911 of coast guard if it is a life threatening emergency for immediate airlifting/rescue. DAN then states that immediate rescue not arranged through them will not be covered. So DAN is in essence by this reasoning stating that they do not cover emergencies since they recommend emergencies be handled through 911/CG and they do not reimburse for this. Why exactly do I have their insurance then?

I've been trying to find actual facts from DAN on this but am coming to a dead end and have only found what I've posted so far. Does anyone have the final facts on how to handle emergencies where time is of the essence and get it to be covered?

Miranda

Miranda,

I guess I should have titled my last post "In a perfect World" I guess I really didn't understand the dilemma from reading through the posts from the monetary aspect. It is a point that does frighten me with any insurance company. I am assuming from the insurance companys' (any insurance company) point of view that they have to look out for their best interests to make sure that they aren't paying anything above what they deem to be usual and customary charges for services rendered. I think the only ones that would be able to give you the final facts would be the legal department that DAN would use. I am reminded of a friend of mine (visiting from out of the country)who cut his leg requiring stitches. He went to the hospital and ask two of the Doctors there how much it would cost all total for the stiches. One doctor said $300.00 while another said $450.00 absolute maximum. He got the stitches and wound up with a $1,500.00 bill. Upon calling the hospital neither Doctor was available to verify their quotes. Like I said "In a perfect World". Thanks for bringing me back to earth. LOL

In a true emergency, and lower extremity paralysis is in my opinion considering its diving related, I’d call for rescue response expecting DAN advice to be, call for rescue, then let’s talk.
Also there would have to be some sort of extraordinary circumstance to ask and expect another agency unrelated to EMS (Emergency Medical Services) to place the request. I do suppose in less developed countries or areas without agency coordination DAN may well be the 1st choice having access to actual contacts vs the US 911 system.
The cost of who picks up the tab would be low on the priorities list for me as both injured or responder.

In my experience DAN is a way for divers to waste money. I have called them before and they were not helpful. They advertise as an emergency service but operate like gateway tech support..

dumpsterDiver:
I just took a quick look at their on-line handbook and it says that DAN travel assist must be used to arrange evacuation or they will not pay for the evacuation.

that's not the same as their emergency medvac.

Travel Assist is a different program, and it means they will pay to fly you back to the States from a trip for any medical issue (dive related or not). you have to contact them first, or they won't pay.

emergency medvac is a different program: getting you from the dive site to a chamber ASAP. i can't believe DAN will demand that they be contacted first before the emergency responders or they won't pay.

if that's their policy, i ain't gonna be a member for much longer. however, i do not think that is their policy from reading their Handbook.

Page 26 makes it clear that any Travel Assist transportation is not covered by the dive accident policy. any travel back to the US must be coordinated through Travel Assist or they won't pay.

that does NOT include emergency medvac to a chamber.

I do not see anywhere in the Handbook where DAN requires pre-approval from them before they will pay for medvac to a chamber.

dumpsterDiver:
It is disappointing that these discussions are necessary at all. There should be no ambiguity and no need for trying to determine the "context" of the brochure. The protocol should be very clearly spelled out in their literature, however it's not clear to me.
I have Kaiser medical insurance, and have since I was about 12. They operate the hospital nearest to me, and several other in the area. They are very clear about this.

In an emergency call 911. They will sort it out later.

I wish DAN would just come on line, and post the policy and field questions.

Then there would be a written record.

"I wish DAN would just come on line, and post the policy and field questions. Then there would be a written record."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom