Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ Why do you care who's paying or how much it's going to cost if someone's life is on the line? At that point, money doesn't matter.

cinder4320:
I also thought that in order to get them to cover it they had to be called first, before 911 or CG. It states that on numerous items they send out. I would've done the same thing. They send out brochures that state they will call for you and explain that its just as fast.

For those of you stating call 911 first I understand that seems common sense but has anyone here been evacuated by someone other than DAN arranged transport and gotten DAN to pay for it afterwards? I'm afraid if they aren't the ones sending the helicopter they will not pay for it. I have their insurance and would really like to know for sure.

Miranda

Yes it is an important issue. It SOUNDS like DAN is trying to change the protocol, but their literature isn't clear to me. I am a DAN member and will continue to support them. This seems more important than MOF and some of the other issues that receive a lot of attention here.

scubadobadoo:
I agree, 911 first. That said, DAN has a forum here on Scuba Board. I would direct all specific questions there. Especially the "fine print" questions. DAN is a good company but they have IMHO not always done a great job spelling out the details of coverage in the past. I have personally received dif. answers about coverage from them depending on who I was talking to. That said, they were always helpful and much better than any other insurance company I have called. Just make sure you are talking to the insurance side of things and not the dive side of things. Fine print confuses all, lol.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=159186

cinder4320:
I also thought that in order to get them to cover it they had to be called first, before 911 or CG. It states that on numerous items they send out. I would've done the same thing. They send out brochures that state they will call for you and explain that its just as fast.
I figured it was just DumpsterDiver that had this impression, but you are the 2nd to post this. So I looked at the link DumpsterDiver put in the starting post of this thread. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

DAN:
3. The DAN staff member or Regional Coordinator
may ask you to wait by the phone while
he/she makes arrangements. This may take 30
minutes or longer, as several phone calls may be
required.

This delay should not place the diver in any
greater danger. However, if the situation is
life-threatening, arrange to transport the diver
immediately to the nearest local medical facility
for immediate stabilization and assessment of
his or her condition. Call DAN TravelAssist at
1-800-326-3822 (1-800-DAN EVAC) at this time
for consultation with the local medical provider.

Most of the section on calling the DAN hotline was written in the context of someone who has begun to experience DCI symtoms, but is not in a life threatening medical emergency situation.

Charlie99:
I figured it was just DumpsterDiver that had this impression, but you are the 2nd to post this. So I looked at the link DumpsterDiver put in the starting post of this thread. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

Most of the section on calling the DAN hotline was written in the context of someone who has begun to experience DCI symtoms, but is not in a life threatening medical emergency situation.

Yes true but down one more page it says "IMPORTANT: DAN TravelAssist must arrange ALL evacuations. Emergency evacuation arrangements made directly by you will not be reimbursed by DAN TravelAssist."

The reason I pay them is so I can be evacuated in an emergency and have it covered. Not so they take a half hour calling around and possibly jeopardizing my life or making me choose whether to have a possible delay or pay for an evacuation. Its a gamble as they could be quick and most knowledgeable but possibly not. For many people paying to have yourself air lifted (Whats that cost 15-20K? Dunno) is something you will be paying off for MANY years to come. Better than dead but if it effects your whole life afterwards its no good either. Thats why I thought I purchased the insurance.

Miranda

cinder4320:
Yes true but down one more page it says "IMPORTANT: DAN TravelAssist must arrange ALL evacuations. Emergency evacuation arrangements made directly by you will not be reimbursed by DAN TravelAssist."

The reason I pay them is so I can be evacuated in an emergency and have it covered. Not so they take a half hour calling around and possibly jeopardizing my life or making me choose whether to have a possible delay or pay for an evacuation. Its a gamble as they could be quick and most knowledgeable but possibly not. For many people paying to have yourself air lifted (Whats that cost 15-20K? Dunno) is something you will be paying off for MANY years to come. Better than dead but if it effects your whole life afterwards its no good either. Thats why I thought I purchased the insurance.

Miranda

Travel Assist is a program that goes into effect AFTER the intial accident, no?

It is disappointing that these discussions are necessary at all. There should be no ambiguity and no need for trying to determine the "context" of the brochure. The protocol should be very clearly spelled out in their literature, however it's not clear to me.

Everyone seems top be talking from an emergency responder point of view. What would you want to happen if you were the patient? If I were a patient, I would probably want to receive care a.s.a.p. Get me stabalized. If I am in a location that is known for a higher percentage of divers, I would like to think that the EMS would be at least a bit more familiar with dive accident protocol than a more remote location with a smaller dive populace. If I am in an area that is not known for a significant number of divers visiting it, I would still want treatment a.s.a.p. at a facility with doctors. Doctors are not gods they don't know everything which, no offense, puts a whole new spin on the term practicing medicine. But even though they may not know it all, they do have the tools, facility and the schooling to at least administer advanced life support. I don't even care if they have a chamber suitable for dive related injuries. DAN is a wonderful organization with medical personnel who are very well versed in dive medicine. Once I am in transit or at the medical facility, I would hope that I would inform the medical personnel of DAN's telephone number or if I couldn't, that my buddy, family member, log book, card in wallet would prompt them to call DAN. It would be while I am being stabalized that the appropriate course of action with advice and information from DAN could be formulated. This could be anything from arranging transportation to the nearest medical facility with a chamber (working and staffed) suitable for diving accidents, if deemed necessary, to a suitable course of action at the current facility if a chamber is not needed. If anyone has a different perspective or thinks differently on anything I have said please let me know. I haven't learned everything there is to living as of yet but I am willing to live to learn it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom