Who Hates Their Seaskin Nova? (+ post pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yer gets what yer pays for.

Seaskin are great value for money but they’re not high-end quality.
Honest question.. I know you have hate for Seaskin but have you ever owned one?

@OTF I'm falling more and more in love with my SS every time I dive it. In the beginning it felt a little stiff (but I did get every stupid option the offer). Now it seems to have relaxed some. I can't say enough good things.

Edit: wanted to add that I had some issues getting into it in the beginning.. came from a neo ds so it was just different. I took my time and now it's starting to feel like an old shoe when I put it on. Much easier and just feels right.

I am 100% sure you get something more with a 3x the price drysuit, but what you don't get is more dry. Maybe the quality is slightly better? Like the seams or something? From 5' away I really can't tell a difference between suits. And to me dry is dry.. and M2M is king in every way.

Once you get your seaskin, and you will beause they are cheap and work (unlike some high end brands that do neither of those things, looking at you Bare) take it to a rib boat manufacturer or repair shop and have them reinforce the seams from the inside, or get a high quality hypalon glue and do it yourself.
And there you go, you get high quality SF like seams that will last longer than the suit.

Honest question.. I know you have hate for Seaskin but have you ever owned one?
Absolutely no hate for Seaskin from me, not sure why you would think that.

Never owned one, but see quite a few on boats an know of people who have them. A budget drysuit that appears to be good value for money.

I only hate mine because I have exactly 2 dry dives after 20 years wet. FML difference in task load and diving style but it will balance out quite quickly I'm sure. Kubi rings (a must after watching my buddies struggle to clip on their lesser style), trigon pee valve, telescopic torso, neo socks, quick neck, warm neck (cold water diver), I screwed up and forgot to check a box on my third time filling out the form and ended up with a brass zip 🤫..., zip cover, no brand logo, zip pockets, sitech valves, dir dump.

20230209_172429.jpg

I love my Seaskin trilam, I see no reason to replace or upgrade it until it completely breaks, and if that happened today I would likely get another one (although I would consider their neoprene one, given its positive reviews and cheaper price).

I don't have any good photos of it, I'll need to take one the next time I get out there. But, since you asked, I do have this terrible photo of it sitting on a homemade drying rack in the shed at my old apartment. Sorry for the upside-down-iness and the general mess, this photo I sent to a buddy who was building a similar drying rack. Hope this helps.

View attachment 769150

A few options can be seen in the photo:
- Full yellow (not yellow + black like dogbone's)
- Crushed neoprene socks
- Telescoping torso (this is a must-have! seriously!)
- Plastic YKK chest sealing zipper, with the additional zippered protective flap on top
- Light Monkey Tinkle pee valve
- KUBI dryglove rings built in, with silicone backup seals
- Quick Neck seal system with silicone Siflex seal
- Apeks low-profile shoulder dump valve in the DIR location
- Kevlar kneepads (no logos)
- Zippered pockets
- Trilobite pocket on left forearm
Thanks, a picture of the full yellow option is super helpful! It really is fully yellow.

Absolutely no hate for Seaskin from me, not sure why you would think that.

Never owned one, but see quite a few on boats an know of people who have them. A budget drysuit that appears to be good value for money.

Well.. but why say you get what you pay for.. that to me implies the more you pay the better the quality. But dry is dry. Made to measure, custom tailored to whatever option you'd like for 1/3 of a more expensive suit is not really "you get what you pay for". Its more like, "you get what you want and need for way less".

It is a great suit (imo). If a more expensive suit was only a few hundred dollars more, maybe there would be more of a discussion or more of a debate.. but there's just no need to spend $2000 more for a suit.

Edit: to put it another way, I just don't see $2000 difference between more expensive and Seaskin.

BUT!!.. To each his own!

I only hate mine because I have exactly 2 dry dives after 20 years wet. FML difference in task load and diving style but it will balance out quite quickly I'm sure. Kubi rings (a must after watching my buddies struggle to clip on their lesser style), trigon pee valve, telescopic torso, neo socks, quick neck, warm neck (cold water diver), I screwed up and forgot to check a box on my third time filling out the form and ended up with a brass zip 🤫..., zip cover, no brand logo, zip pockets, sitech valves, dir dump.

View attachment 769226
Damn, you’re a hairy feller. 🤣

Damn, you’re a hairy feller. 🤣
Now imagine trying to tame that thing for EVERY dive. I forgot my beard tie (elastic hair tie I stole from the wife) on a dive in Hawaii and that was a nightmare. My beard kept trying to kill me by getting tangled in my reg and pulling it out. It was like fighting a kraken attached to my face. Even with a hood I still tie the damn thing into a chin pony.

Y'all could have gotten lightly used White's Fusions. Just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom