who has the most logged dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

will give part of the picture... don't discount it entirely! Sure the breadth and width of experience are other parts of the puzzle, and there are others as well. If this is a way to determine the best buddy, then interests have to be weighed and diving styles too (don't forget rule #1).

However if the having the most DETAILED log were a telling criteria (which I think it is) I would be hard pressed to find anyone as anal, er thorough as our own Walter!!! It is an impressive SET of log books and ExCel spread sheets that really cover a wonderful diving career.

I'm sure that there are a lot of very very experienced people here, and I really didn't mean for people to think that I was judging their experience on the number of logged dives...... I will try to be more careful on how I word things from now on.

Kayla

and has given us all food for thought! Some of these old fogies are trying to put on airs like it doesn't matter... but it does!!! It matters to them too, but it ain't cool to admit it. I just passed my 150 dive mark, and am proud of all but one of those dives. In reality, not many ever pass 100 dives in a life time. The number of dives we do IS special, and *MOST* of us know just how many dives we have done too. If it weren't special, we would never count. We are just sorta embarrassed to post it, that's all. Diving is not a race or competition and well, I think we get a little over sensitized to that and miss out on the fact that we have done a LOT of diving.

So don't reword squat! Just sit back and smile and watch these old timers try to minimize something that inwardly they are probably pretty darned proud of. Heck I know that Walter has over a THOUSAND dives... what an accomplishment! AND he has a boat load of shark's teeth too. You should see how he wrestles the sharks for them... what a site!!!

thanks. i needed that.... for awhile i was really worried. over a thousand dives?? thats quite an accomplishment!! I mean, how many people ever reach that point in diving? its awesome if you ask me. well, thanks again!!! :)

Kayla:)

Kayla,

I'm trying to catch NetDoc in numbers(he dives faster than I do) but like NetDoc I'm proud of the dives I have and I have learned something from every dive dive I've been on. There are others on the board who have well over 1,000 dives and that is a very real accomplishment which demonstrates how much people do love the underwater world. I've never seen Walters logbooks but I would be willing to bet that reading it would be an education into diving and to life. BTW according to NetDoc Walter has been diving since the day of the dinosaurs. I know that you are just getting started with your diving lessons so I'll give you a little bit of advice. Read the posts made by Walter. He has answered many questions on these boards and you can learn alot from his responses. I know I have learned alot from his responses.

Kayla,

I'm not shy about putting up my numbers. I thought you wanted to know who had the most. I don't know. I know there are many folks with more than this newbie, but I'll share.

First dive: December 11, 1983
Latest dive: April 27, 2002

Night: 37
Fresh Water: 48
Cavern: 62
Less than 3 ft viz: 65
Nitrox: 94
Fossil: 107
Less than 10 ft viz: 134
Wreck: 274
100 ft or deeper: 285
Aritificial Reef: 334
Solo: 375
60 ft or deeper: 595
Reef: 782
Total: 1251
Average depth: 61 ft
Average time: 37 minutes
Longest dive: 4 hours
Deepest dive: who cares?
270 different locations
Most dives on a single location: 165 Conch Reef - Florida Keys
Most in a single month: 32 - July 2001
Most in a single year: 171 - 1986

Logging dives since before there was paper, matter of fact I have it on good authority that he used to use an abacus to figure out his deco times!

Just thought you'd like to know

ID

Originally posted by Iguana Don
Logging dives since before there was paper, matter of fact I have it on good authority that he used to use an abacus to figure out his deco times!

Just thought you'd like to know

ID

So THAT'S what that was! :eek:

Just kidding Walter. As NetDoc says, Walter has a set of log books that we all could be envious of.

Not to worry Kayla, ask what you want to -- people will answer the way they want to. If you don't ask, you'll stop learning something new.

Walter, im impressed. That is an outstanding number of different dives. Seems you are very organized as well. As far as asking questions goes, i'll probably never stop, I'm always asking things... seems to get me in trouble sometimes....:)

Kayla:)

I feel insignificant now with only 46 dives under my belt. But I'm going on a live aboard this weekend, so that will help

Back
Top Bottom