Who Determines What DIR Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that George Irvine (GI3) first coined the term during some sort of interview when the interviewer asked him about the safety record at WKPP. He replied something to the effect of "because we do it right". I also read a forum post from GI3 disallowing Andrew Georgitsis (AG) of UTD from using the term DIR. The exchange between these two was quite entertaining but it has since been taken down from the web. I recall that some people were left wondering if ratio deco was also GUE disallowed in that exchange by GI3. At the time GI3 seemed to be speaking wielding his authority as a GUE "officer".

Interestingly enough, GUE has now abandoned the term whereas AG has been using it uninterruptedly since he left (UTD DIR Back Mount Configuration). I also recall seeing some European intructors/"agencies" using the term DIR. One particular one (and I can't remember its name or web address) was making it sound like they had to leave GUE because GUE wasn't "badass" enough when it came to strictness and adherence to/of training standards. My impression was that this was just a ridiculous attempt at banking on the marketing clout that GI3/Jarrod Jablonski (JJ) had built around the term DIR. What would the new standards be? Must deploy bag while blind, gas sharing, holding depth within a +/- 3 inches and not losing any more that 5 degrees of trim.

Additional reading:
Parker Turner's Passing (GI3's cave instructor):
parker turner irvine anglais

GI3 vs Bill Gavin (GI3 and Gavin had a scooter business together - Gavin Scooters - which for the longest time was the marquee DIR scooter. If I remember correctly, GI3 dedicated an entire section to the Gavin Scooter in one of the official DIR videos, DIR 2004?):
Setting it straight

JJ vs Bill Main Hogarth (father of the Hogarthian configuration):
The Deco Stop

Last edited:
Additional reading:
Parker Turner's Passing (GI3's and JJ's cave instructor):
I don't think that Parker Turner was JJ's instructor, just GI3's

Or you could say that there was a large compendium of what DIR IS put out in the mid 90's to around 2003....and what was true of this DIR message is exactly the same today....there are those of us that continue to use exactly that style of diving, configuration, and mindset. This compendium can be assembled by anyone today without that much difficulty.

I dive with a lot of GUE trained folks and I now dive sidemount. I didn't make the move to sidemount because it was the latest fad or looked cool...I did it because, do to physical limitations, I was never going to be able to execute a valve shutdown. So having the valves in front of me on sidemounted tanks was the only safe option especially here in Ontario where cold water diving ramps up the possibility of free-flows. My air sharing procedures are identical to those employed by backmounted GUE trained divers, I deploy a 7 foot hose and breathe off my other second stage. I think it is only a matter of time before GUE appreciates the value of sidemount for a certain population of divers.

Post corrected. Who taught JJ?
Lloyd Bailey certified him, although I suspect he was "trained" by the early WKPP members, given the differences in how he dives/teaches these days.

If you have access read "Toward a Near and Unique Future" by Jarrod Jablonski in the Quest magazine of Summer 2004. It is part of the supplemental reading for GUE Fundies and it focuses on how "DIR" has evolved from its original intent and how it was just cost and timewise ineffective to try and police as it has been adopted and evolved by different geographical organizations along with their intents and purposes. I am aware of the old rule that you shouldn't be allowed to post until 90 days post-Fundies. I am just a baby taking its first steps in the DIR world but as a UTD diver I consider AG to be an Archangel and if anyone is my pope it is Jarrod Jablonski. I am happy that DIR diving exists regardless of which organization is promoting it.

If you have access read "Toward a Near and Unique Future" by Jarrod Jablonski in the Quest magazine of Summer 2004. It is part of the supplemental reading for GUE Fundies and it focuses on how "DIR" has evolved from its original intent and how it was just cost and timewise ineffective to try and police as it has been adopted and evolved by different geographical organizations along with their intents and purposes. I am aware of the old rule that you shouldn't be allowed to post until 90 days post-Fundies. I am just a baby taking its first steps in the DIR world but as a UTD diver I consider AG to be an Archangel and if anyone is my pope it is Jarrod Jablonski. I am happy that DIR diving exists regardless of which organization is promoting it.
this is why

dial is back a notch dude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom