Who Determines What DIR Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parker Turner's Passing (GI3's cave instructor):
parker turner irvine anglais

Additional reading:
GI3 vs Bill Gavin (GI3 and Gavin had a scooter business together - Gavin Scooters - which for the longest time was the marquee DIR scooter. If I remember correctly, GI3 dedicated an entire section to the Gavin Scooter in one of the official DIR videos, DIR 2004?):

Setting it straight

JJ vs Bill Main Hogarth (father of the Hogarthian configuration):
The Deco Stop
don't forget on Andrew Georgitsis with UTD

Precision Diving ? The GUE vs. UTD Situation

Last edited:
A good article. A benefit I see is that UTD and GUE divers can dive together seamlessly. On the west coast regardless of agency we mix very well in teams. A point, UTD instructors are allowed to dive in whatever gear they choose (with one exception) and do not push branded gear. Whatever gear works, works. This philosophy helped me in choosing which agency to seek training. Way back when GUE was in its early stages the rigidity and over standardization went against some of my beliefs. Eventually as UTD was created it fit well with what I wanted to accomplish as a diver. The expansion of UTD instructors hasn't really happened as fast as you may think. The standards have not changed and are as stringent as ever and there is a theoretical cap Jeff and AG want for their corps. Many years ago I did find the old cliche of elitism somewhat evident with GUE but generally the DIR community is an ambassador for the sport and not an exclusive group that look down on others.

AJ, how did I know you would ask.......yes, it's the Z system.

To the OP, see my Signature.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom