Who Determines What DIR Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A blown O-ring on a spool will cause a leak but not enough to screw with an ear, especially being that far away from your ear to begin with, LP hoses will f you up though. If it did happen to that person from a HP line, then it must have been with lollipop SPG's sticking up and they had them very close to the ear, with the shoulder D-rings placed at the nipple line, that's quite a ways down and back, so the only way the bubbles would be in plane with your ear is if you were vertical.

For me it's more, I can look at my SPG on that D-ring without having to clip or unclip anything which is more valuable to me when I need both hands for things. Also keeps that D-ring free for stages and now don't have to reach around the stages to grab my backgas SPG.

One of the most wonderful things about the GUE system is the degree of trust extended to people who were previously unknown. I've seen it work again and again.

This extends to all DIR style divers. I just got back from a trip diving the Pacific Northwest, and dove seamlessly with teams of both GUE and UTD divers. (Many of whom are friends of @TSandM... catch you next time, Lynne!)

Even though everyone on my trip was technically an "instabuddy", because of our common DIR training, everyone's diving was of the highest level, our equipment configurations were compatible, and expectations, communication, dive profiles, etc. were all the same. An amazing experience.

Last edited:
It's one of the most wonderful strengths of the system. There are no "instabuddy" issues within the DIR world.

S

So who determines what DIR really is?

George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski. That's it.

George doesn't dive anymore and Jarrod as head of GUE doesn't use the term anymore.

As others have said, maybe it's time to retire the term.

George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski. That's it.

George doesn't dive anymore and Jarrod as head of GUE doesn't use the term anymore.

As others have said, maybe it's time to retire the term.

Or Parker Turner, although he died awhile ago now.

Nobody can decide, because DIR is an immutable, read-only concept. Any modification or deviation from the system will, by definition, render a system that is strictly inferior, and non-DIR: in the words of Jarrod Jablonsky, DIR "is the perfect system", it "requires no modification", and "although incorporating parts of the DIR system into another system will certainly benefit the latter, the result is ultimately neither desirable nor DIR". It is a system that has reached maturity and ultimate, final form upon conception, and has been forever frozen in time. The only way to move forward is, therefore, to abandon it...

I apologize for the sarcasm, but can't you, guys, publish a 2nd edition without that obnoxious language in the first few chapters... it takes away from the valuable message.

Sigh. The basic structure -- standardization of equipment, gases, procedures and protocols; strong diver skills, and a team approach, have not changed. I don't think Jarrod was talking about whether your wetnotes go in your right or left pocket when he said the system was pretty much perfect as it was. Things do evolve, and we now have GUE teams using rebreathers, which were regarded dubiously for a long time, until the changes in both the world in which we dive and the dives we do in it made the risk-benefit ratio less unattractive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom