White Shark on the Cape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver:
What type of sharks were they? I didn't know anyone finned sharks around here???

There are a lot of folks up here who view sharks as competitors who for all intents and purposes take the rent money directly out of their wallets. Finning isn't the worst that happens. Some sharks (even dogfish) get clubbed to death and tossed back, some get shot, and I've even heard of a sword boat hoisting a shark and burning it alive.

ScubaNorth:
I love how somehow he believes he has more right to go near the animal than the rest of the common folk.

I believe he does. By him going near it, we all stand to learn something about the behavior of a little understood species.

What good could come from common folk harassing it?

ScubaNorth:
If you aren't gonna eat it why catch it (ok bone fishermen, I don't mean you guys.)? Seriously do people go out and kill these things for fun?
For sport, and yes.

I agree with you, and yet some people considered it sport when New Zealand played Italy in the 1999 Rugby World Cup. Final score 101 to 3.

Others would argue that spending several hours with no break pitting your strength and skill against a massive fish with no assurance that you'll have a snowball's chance in hell of landing it is more than fair. There are a lot of people who hunt for trophys, and there are a lot of people with grudges against sharks, deserved or not.

I'm not trying to justify it, I'm just saying there are plenty of people who would be happy to harm a great white if given half a chance, and opinions about what is sporting are subjective at best.

Not to be off subject, but happy belated birthday MSILVIA

large_diver:
BTW -- this page on the MA division of marine fisheries web site has some great pictures and video of the shark, including some brief, murky underwater footage they added today taken with a boom camera.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/marinefisheriesnotices/white_shark.htm

thats one big *** shark ..... what would you do if you saw that .. diving in MA bay ?
other then crap your wet suite lol i know you should stay down low .. but other then that ?

If you see that in MA it probably means it's within 15' of you. I'm not sure getting low would help much at that point, but I'd probaly do the same. I'd say 'try to stay calm' too, but try would be the operative word there.

Back
Top Bottom