White Shark on the Cape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNorth:
I guess you've been on one of these trips. Nice real nice, let's harass some wild life and do it because we are much more important than everyone else.
It's not about being important, it's about learning. We had a rare opportunity to learn about the behavior of white sharks in the North Atlantic, and I for one am glad that we all might be able to benefit from someone doing the research. I don't for a minute think that that should open the doors for anyone with the inclination to do the same though.

If you wanted to be able to do the same kind of research, maybe you should have gotten into biology instead of sales.

MSilvia:
It's not about being important, it's about learning. We had a rare opportunity to learn about the behavior of white sharks in the North Atlantic, and I for one am glad that we all might be able to benefit from someone doing the research. I don't for a minute think that that should open the doors for anyone with the inclination to do the same though.

If you wanted to be able to do the same kind of research, maybe you should have gotten into biology instead of sales.

Don't want to do research or molest a sharks. I've said several times no one not me you or any yahoo should have been near the animal. Why would I want to do something like take a shark sight seeing trip, or research them.

ScubaNorth:
I've said several times no one not me you or any yahoo should have been near the animal.
I don't mind someone tagging it. Until we get the data back from that tag, we still won't know anything at all about the range and behavior of great whites in this part of the world.
ScubaNorth:
Why would I want to do something like take a shark sight seeing trip, or research them.
Some people think they're fascinating to study. Apparently you don't. That's fine by me.

I just think the "Scientists think they're better than everyone else" rant is silly.

ScubaNorth:
I guess you've been on one of these trips. Nice real nice, let's harass some wild life and do it because we are much more important than everyone else.
Actually, the more we understand about sharks (and any other species), and their behavior and needs, the better off *they* are.

MSilvia:
I just think the "Scientists think they're better than everyone else" rant is silly.

I don't actually think all scientist believe they are better than everyone else. It's all in the attitude. I only take exception with the fact that he went on TV like a school girl with a new dress and announced how awsome it was to be near the animal, but everyone else should stay away. This is also a man who dives with sharks as a hobby by his own admission. I forget how healthy is diving with sharks again? Good for sharks? Good in the end for people? I just thought the guy came across as a little too giddy over the whole thing. By the way it's not that I wouldn't love to study sharks but that 2.5 in Biology says I was cut out for another career. I just take offense to anyone thinking I endorse petting fish since I said nothing of the kind.

ScubaNorth:
I don't actually think all scientist believe they are better than everyone else. It's all in the attitude. I only take exception with the fact that he went on TV like a school girl with a new dress and announced how awsome it was to be near the animal, but everyone else should stay away. This is also a man who dives with sharks as a hobby by his own admission. I forget how healthy is diving with sharks again? Good for sharks? Good in the end for people? I just thought the guy came across as a little too giddy over the whole thing. By the way it's not that I wouldn't love to study sharks but that 2.5 in Biology says I was cut out for another career. I just take offense to anyone thinking I endorse petting fish since I said nothing of the kind.

Give the man a break! Of course he was giddy! He was the first person EVER to put a radio tag on a great white in the Atlantic! He is entitled to be a little excited about that!

Also I think you totally misunderstand his intent in discouraging people from coming to see the shark. It isn't about him thinking he is better than everyone else or thinking only scientists are entitled to see a shark. This was a very different situation from encountering sharks in the open ocean. We are talking about a shark in a confined location that apparently was having trouble finding its way out. That made it easy to find and more vulnerable than a normal shark. If this shark had enough attention, it couldn't just swim off like it normally would at sea. If a handful of careful and respectful people came to see it, it wouldn't be much problem. The danger was every curious person in the area swarming the site. And with the crowds of people I am sure there would be plenty of idiots.

In my opinion they were absolutely correct to discourage people from coming to see the shark and there is nothing hypocritical about it.

RIOceanographer:
The danger was every curious person in the area swarming the site. And with the crowds of people I am sure there would be plenty of idiots.

In my opinion they were absolutely correct to discourage people from coming to see the shark and there is nothing hypocritical about it.

Unfortunately, Chris is right. They had to discourage people. With a situation as this, there are bound to be a few morons. Quite frankly, although my intenions were pure and merely to capture the animal on video, I would have been one of those morons.

I guess I'll just have to wait to see Gretel in the open water; maybe I'll be doing my first deco stop on the Pinthis. Maybe I'll lose control of my bowels. Maybe I'll scream like a little girl at a monster truck rally. Maybe then I'll realise what a moron I was to want to try to get as close to her as I did.

ScubaNorth:

nonono..you misread my post..it was in response to the rant about "scientists think they're better" post.. which was frustrating..because they have Every right to be there and the commentary by other members were correct... Big Animal interactions that are organzied, such as the ones off CA are not to make people think they are important but are MONITORED...and typically WITH scientists involved (ie Ian Gordon;'s former trips out of South Australia) many times the tourist aspect, assists them in finanances on soem of the logisitcs of the trip... there is tagging on the trips AND education ...the more we know about these creatures the less hype and mis-understanding so monitored organized interactions are a lot less damaging then the situation where people want to take their own boats out and potentially harrass... the commentary on "do it because we are much more important" was unfounded , not familiar with the operations..>snip<.

Aliens land on the Cape starting around Memorial Day every year. They drive strange contraptions with metalplates on them from such alien locations as Connecticut, New Jersey , New York, and yes, even the dreaded Quebec and Ontario! Don't worry xenophobes....they are now all gone. LOL :wink:

LobstaMan

This Saturday, 10/23, Greg Skomal from the Dept. of Marine Fisheries (Massachusetts) will be making a presentation on "Sharks of New England" where he will be showing footage of the White Shark which appeared on Cape Cod this summer.

There will also be a presentation of the Soccoro Islands by Ken Mostello, underwater photographer.

This is a benefit for the Underwater Education & Trainging Center of New England (www.underwatereducation.org) from 6pm-9pm, doors open at 5pm. The event will be held at the Billerica Access Television studios, 430 Boston Rd., Billerica, MA

Ticket donations: $5/students (elementary to college senior w/id), $10/adult or 2/$15 and $12each at the door. For tickets or reservations, 978-439-0400 or email: tickets@underwatereducation.org.

Back
Top Bottom