White Shark on the Cape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
If you see that in MA it probably means it's within 15' of you. I'm not sure getting low would help much at that point, but I'd probaly do the same. I'd say 'try to stay calm' too, but try would be the operative word there.

im thinking if that shark is within 15ft of you .... your lunch ....

if its a night dive ... he is within 5 feet and you are dinner :)

i found a like to a shark shield ..... that sounds cool .... but @ 500$ ummmmm
no thanks

Gabriel90512:
im thinking if that shark is within 15ft of you .... your lunch ....
If it's hungry, it might be inclined to take a bite and see if you're worth eating. Then again, with a strange electrical signature, a neoprene smell, and a bunch of bubbles, it might not think you resemble food closely enough to bother if you aren't at the surface.

MSilvia:
If it's hungry, it might be inclined to take a bite and see if you're worth eating. Then again, with a strange electrical signature, a neoprene smell, and a bunch of bubbles, it might not think you resemble food closely enough to bother if you aren't at the surface.

Maybe you can try scaring it away by purging your regs a couple of times? One thing that occured to me is maybe take off my gear and if the shark attacks, shove the gear in it's mouth and swim away fast. Hopefully, it will be too busy ripping my BC to shreds to notice a part of the "prey" swim away. Or not :)

Chebby:
One thing that occured to me is maybe take off my gear...

I don't think that's a good option for several reasons, the biggest of which are:

It would leave you in potentially deep water with no breathing apparatus and an obviously agressive shark who isn't going to find a metal tank very satisfying, and might find your paniced splashing at the surface (you do need to breathe) an appealing sign of a real meal.

Second, if a Great White decided to attack me, I don't think taking the time to make a wardrobe change would be at the top of my priority list. The odds are good you wouldn't see it coming when it hit you anyhow, and if it did it could be moving at a higher speed than the limited vis would allow you time to react.

I think your best bet is to not see one in the first place, and if you do, get low (so you can avoid looking like a seal silhouetted at the surface and have less area you need to monitor to keep an eye on it) and calmly leave the water as soon as you get an opportunity. It'll be much safer to freak out about it once you're on land.

Looks like they've coaxed it out of the inshore waters. Dept of Fisheries is holding a press conference at 3:30 today.

Sorry about the double post but...Great White Shark Returns To Open Waters

FALMOUTH, Mass. -- The great white has left the building.

The 15-foot shark that has patrolled a Cape Cod lagoon for nearly two weeks has finally left the waters around Woods Hole.

State biologists say the 1,700 pound female shark was seen swimming through the inlet between Naushon and Monohansett islands and into open ocean around one p-m this afternoon.

The state's Division of Marine Fisheries strung a series of nets and electronic repellant devices in the lagoon where the shark has been swimming for almost two weeks.

The shark was first spotted on September 21st near Naushon Island, off the southwestern coast of Cape Cod.

Scientists attached a satellite device to the shark's dorsal fin, marking the first time a great white has been outfitted with such a device.

Scores of boaters visited the lagoon to see the shark, prompting officials to cordon off the immediate area in hopes of keeping gawkers at bay for their own safety and the shark's. (AP)

Coaxing a great white... hmmm... I wouldn't think that would be hard... why'd it take so long?

Gabriel90512:
thats one big *** shark ..... what would you do if you saw that .. diving in MA bay ?
other then crap your wet suite lol i know you should stay down low .. but other then that ?

I was out Diving a couple of miles away from Woods Hole hunting anchors a couple of days gefore the shark showed up in the Harbor, makes me think about what was swimming with me.

JPG:
Nicely said.
maybe because he heads up the Marine Fisheries Tagging Program, monitors the shark tournies in the Northeast, and works for the Marine Fisheries dept and nationally known shark biologist...>snip<
This is not your average yahoo trying to grab a couple of minutes close to the shark..but it's HIS JOB... maybe that's why? sorry...couldn't resist after that commentary..glad she's back at sea now...safe from all the boats and yahoos trying to harass her.. there ARE toursit trips out of CA to see Great Whites..try San Diego Shark Diving...trust me..much better experience than the cloudy waters off of Woods Hole...lol

uwvideogirl:
maybe because he heads up the Marine Fisheries Tagging Program, monitors the shark tournies in the Northeast, and works for the Marine Fisheries dept and nationally known shark biologist...>snip<
This is not your average yahoo trying to grab a couple of minutes close to the shark..but it's HIS JOB... maybe that's why? sorry...couldn't resist after that commentary..glad she's back at sea now...safe from all the boats and yahoos trying to harass her.. there ARE toursit trips out of CA to see Great Whites..try San Diego Shark Diving...trust me..much better experience than the cloudy waters off of Woods Hole...lol

I guess you've been on one of these trips. Nice real nice, let's harass some wild life and do it because we are much more important than everyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom