White Shark on the Cape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, just got back from diving the cape with CERG. No sharks to report. But I was looking over my should a bit more than usual :thanx to this wonderful thread :)

By cape I mean Cape Ann, not Cape Cod. I'm not going near that shark infested Cape Cod (jus kidding :))

Vis was better then I expected, got 6 lobsters and no traffic whatsoever! Great morning to start off a day with. And no, a little rain and a lot of fog did not bother me.

Diving I've come across 3 sharks in MA waters, 1 dead - finned, the other 2 were finned & tossed back in to die
Sad

Finning a shark is a common practice in areas where they use the fins (far east for example for shark fin soup). Some fishermen do it as they feel they are eating their catch.

Basically, they cut off the fins from the live shark and throw them back in the water to die.

tbuckalew:
Finning a shark is a common practice in areas where they use the fins (far east for example for shark fin soup). Some fishermen do it as they feel they are eating their catch.

Basically, they cut off the fins from the live shark and throw them back in the water to die.

hummmmmmmm thats not right. i hate when people do stuff like that...i guess they will have to account for what they did in the end.

I saw a bit on the news today about the Cape Cod shark. They said they thought the shark drifted in to close to shore. The scientists(according to the crawl) thought the shark was disoriented.

While no one should harass the shark(s) I do think that this is a good opprotunity to get the public more interested in protecting sharks.

I was disgusted to see the guy on Killer Instincts catch and gut a tiger shark for what was IMHO no good reason on last nights show. Not sure of the production date of that show :06:

Scuba_Dave:
Diving I've come across 3 sharks in MA waters, 1 dead - finned, the other 2 were finned & tossed back in to die
Sad

What type of sharks were they? I didn't know anyone finned sharks around here???

Finning is so wrong...i say if you're going to fish a shark, then take the whole thing and use it..don't just fin it and throw the poor thing to die..that's just so wrong. IMO no shark should be caught.

Back
Top Bottom