Whipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

300bar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've seen this comming along many times.
But I don't have a clue what it is.
We only use sand/glass/metal blasting to clean tanks.

Any one care to explain,please.

My local dive shop has a long rod with a series of braided wire secured to it about two inches appart for a total of about bottom twelve inches of the shaft. They put the shaft in a drill chuck and insert the rod into the tank and let her rip. the wire flails out like a weed wacker does and scraps the inside of the tank. His looks more like a christmas tree branch than the picture webjr posted.

A whip is attached to a drill and as the shaft spins the brush spin out and hits the sides removing loose material.

I knew it,you guy's are FAST.:D

:thumb: Thanks,I pressumed something like this but never seen it.

Interresting tool.
Could indeed work fine on flash rust,although I'm not so sure on the neck of the tank.
Need to find and try one.

if it is the neck you need to clean i would tumble it. if it is the threads use a brass brush to do it.

blasting the tank is not a good idea as this is a more abrasive way to do it. like when they sand blast the paint off a car. not a good idea for the inside of a tank.

if you want to use a tank whip buy one from global. you can get two different length rods for doing 80's or pony bottles.

tumbling media consists of glass beads, aluminum oxide chips, and a tumbling expiditor for heavy rust.

Yes, that tool works well for most of the tank, but I use a different one for the neck. Actually, I like my other one better for most cases since it seems more durable. It has stainless steel wires that were inserted on an aluminum rod every inch or so. It looks like it was a semi homemade unit, but it works great and it was very reasonable price.

I also have one like the one in the link and another wire brush for the bottom. Between all three type of wire brushes that I have I can clean any part of the tank, some parts probably better than tumbling.

This tool are much less cost that a tumblers and most certainly less expensive than a blaster.

I can justify owning all this tools since I have about 16 or so steel tanks that I use on a regular base. It is also a lot less mess and easier to use than a tumbler and I can do it dry and just blow out the minimal dust. It definitely takes care of any flash rust if any occurs after a hydro.

It would probably not handle any significant rust, but it would have to be fairly significant.

if it is the neck you need to clean i would tumble it. if it is the threads use a brass brush to do it.

blasting the tank is not a good idea as this is a more abrasive way to do it. like when they sand blast the paint off a car. not a good idea for the inside of a tank.

if you want to use a tank whip buy one from global. you can get two different length rods for doing 80's or pony bottles.

tumbling media consists of glass beads, aluminum oxide chips, and a tumbling expiditor for heavy rust.

It's standard overhere BUT we only use steel tanks.AL tanks might get worn out pretty soon..
I've seen steel tanks pass hydro, after dozens of times blasting.

Yes, that tool works well for most of the tank, but I use a different one for the neck. Actually, I like my other one better for most cases since it seems more durable. It has stainless steel wires that were inserted on an aluminum rod every inch or so. It looks like it was a semi homemade unit, but it works great and it was very reasonable price.

I also have one like the one in the link and another wire brush for the bottom.

This tool are much less cost that a tumblers and most certainly less expensive than a blaster.

I can justify owning all this tools since I have about 16 or so steel tanks that I use on a regular base. It is also a lot less mess and easier to use than a tumbler and I can do it dry and just blow out the minimal dust. It definitely takes care of any flash rust if any occurs after a hydro.

It would probably not handle any significant rust, but it would have to be fairly significant.

Ahh,that makes sence.Thanks.

I've never seen such tools but they would make a nice addition to the other tools,just to get the flash rust out,before hydro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom