• Scubapro R380

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Scubapro S550

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Scubapro S600

Votes: 49 26.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the SP Mk16/G250HP setup and really like it... had a freeflow once at 100' feet in 38 degree water, but I think it was my fault for leaving it wide open. Hasn't happened since...

jamiei once bubbled...
Sp S600/MK20/air2... why don't people like the swivel turrets?

Because people view them as a point of failure. If the tech does not know what he is doing, he can over torque the turret bolt, cause and o-ring pinch and make the regulator leak. They usually are not under tightened.

I've never had a problem with the swivel turrents and all my regs have them. Usually bad servicing is the problem, not the turret swivel.

I think that a swivel turret is not an issue.

I went from Odins to Apexs about two years ago. Love them. They work great. Easy to overhaul. Oceanic Delta and Delta2 are also good regs.

Eric

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I have a MK25/S600 and think it's great, no change in breathing effort regardless of depth. I've used it in 40-45 degree water with no problems. According to the tests, this is the highest performing reg available. ScubaPro parts are a lot more common if you travel, and if you keep your reg in warranty, expense is low. By the way, a lot of people really like the MK25/D400 combo...even more than the MK25/S600 setup.

The D400 model has been discontinued and will be replaced by the X650 (ugliest reg in history) in the Spring

I saw the X650 in the new ScubaPro catalog...very unique looking reg. From the way the catalog is structured, it leads you to beleive that the X650 will outperform the S600. A friend of mine pre-ordered the X650 so, I'll have to check it out.

Why does your Apeks breath wet? Probably ought to tear it down to make sure it's within specs... mine never breath wet in normal positioning, and only when dirty while inverted.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...and I don't mind that they breath wet.

Love 'em. They breathe really well. Never had a problem with them.

Great stuff!

Peter Doege

What??

No mention of Poseidon Jetstream/Xstream or Mares Abyss??

Oh dear.

...A Mk16/S550/R380 setup.

Firstly, it's important to choose the correct second stages... Your primary should be balanced, and your secondary unbalanced. This helps you to have one really great performing regulator at depth, while the lower performance of an unbalanced reg helps to prevent freeflow.

Secondly, I liked the idea of the simple design in all of the above regs. Don't let all the knobs fool you... The missing adjustment on the S55 and R380 is a knob which "detunes" your regulator. Why would you ever want to detune your reg? A vane works better to help prevent freeflow anyway...

Thirdly, all of the above are diaphragm regulators, which tend to have several advantages... They are naturally sealed, which means that they're great for salt or muddy water (which I am in all the time), and they won't ice up like pistons will (a nonissue for me). With the Scubapro S600 "big brother," only silicone grease is what keeps things sealed up. I'd rather have the diaphragm.

Forthly, I can get a Scubapro reg worked on ANYWHERE. Their warranty is tops, and their reputation is the best there is.

Fifthly, not that I put all that much stock in it, but the recent "Mother of All Reg Reviews" from Scuba Diving magazine touted the S550/MK16 as both a "best buy" and a "tester's choice." It came recommended even over the S600.

Sixthly, no swivel turret on the MK16. Why would someone want that anyway? Doesn't it just make more sense to have a nice, solid setup back there? Can you imagine a "swivel valve" on your tank? Of course not... The idea is silly, and sounds dangerous. That's how I feel about swivel turrets. I wouldn't want anything to get turned around on me back there, anyway...

Lastly, did you see the price on this combo? I just bought an S550/MK16 combo from Leisurepro for $260, complete. :)

The only reason that I can see wanting the MK25 over the MK16 is the second high pressure port, in case you want to do the "transmitter with redundant SPG thing." But then you'd have to spend more money to get a 1st stage that has a swivel and is a piston design, which isn't sealed quite like a diaphragm.

Now, that said, I've heard of nobody having any problems with the MK25, even in harsh environments...

The Apeks? Nice regs... But the funny sized hoses are a little off... And comperable performance is twice the price in an Apeks...

Back
Top Bottom