• Scubapro R380

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Scubapro S550

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Scubapro S600

Votes: 49 26.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone enlighten me on what is the difference in performace between piston and diaphragm regs?

I was told somewhere that diaphragm regs perform much better if I were mainly diving salt-water.

And, btw what type is the Apeks or SP?

Thanks

...But I'm not so confident with my knowlege now. :D

I understand that piston regs fail "open"... That is, if they stop working, they freeflow. I understand that diaphragm regs fail closed... That is, if they stop working, they no longer supply gas.

...I also understand that piston regs deal with getting water in them better than diaphragm regs.

...Bu I also understand that diaphragm regs are better "sealed" against the junk that's in the water... And so are better choices for salt, muddy, or contaminated water.

...Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

with the mk25 first stage. It is a great reg but expensive.

My first reg was a Mares MR12, a low cost work horse, reliable and very, very, very easy breather. I liked it a lot.

Why did I change? Don't really know. Probably just had an urge to spend some money.

There are a lot of good regulators out there. Your type of diving as well as your budget should be the main factors to consider.

Ari :)

Bloop once bubbled...
Can anyone enlighten me on what is the difference in performace between piston and diaphragm regs?

I was told somewhere that diaphragm regs perform much better if I were mainly diving salt-water.

And, btw what type is the Apeks or SP?

Thanks

Apeks: Balanced Diaphragm

ScubaPro: MK20/25 Piston

ScubaPro: Mk14/16/18 Diaphragm

Diaphragm 1sts are probably the better choice if your diving in crud...but have more parts and are a little more involved when servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom