Question Which SSI speciality to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you there to witness it or just taking what somebody you apparently don't know and never met said as the absolute truth in absence of the other party?
The OP was there and gave a very specific description. Why would I not believe him?

Hello, this summer I got my SSI OW and I loved it. I have always wanted to try scuba because my father was a Divemaster. This winter im going to the Canary Islands (warm water) and I have time to do 4 specialties. Wich ones would you recommend me to choose? (With an SSI agency)

My initial idea was:

-Perfect buoyancy
-Deep diving
-Nitrox
-Wreck diving
Hi @RegularScubaDiver

Sorry, I don't know that much about SSI, only what I've read. I also don't know that much about your local diving in Spain or places you might easily visit, like the Canary Islands.

It looks like Advanced Adventurer is the equivalent of Advanced Open Water. If this qualification may be needed to do more "advanced" dives, I would consider doing the 5 dives for the cert. Something like this would certainly be required for some dives in the US and other places. Each of the 5 dives could count toward the full specialty if you decide to take it.

If nitrox is a no dive specialty like it is with other agencies, I would simply do it before your trip. It is probably the most important specialty after OW.

I would probably not spend your entire trip training and would do some fun diving. If you have the time, do Perfect Buoyancy if you think your buoyancy is quite deficient. Deep would be my other choice.

Have a great trip, let us know what you do. Welcome to diving.

I would probably not spend your entire trip training and would do some fun diving. If you have the time, do Perfect Buoyancy
Spot on.
Dive and have fun, good buoyancy improves the fun [and you use less gas].
You will enjoy it.

It looks like Advanced Adventurer is the equivalent of Advanced Open Water.
SSI Advanced Adventurer is equivalent to PADI Advanced Open Water. Both are sampler platters.
If this qualification may be needed to do more "advanced" dives, I would consider doing the 5 dives for the cert. Something like this would certainly be required for some dives in the US and other places. Each of the 5 dives could count toward the full specialty if you decide to take it.
Taking the 4 SSI specialties will result in the OP getting a 5th “card” (possibly electronic). The 5th card will say Advanced Open Water, assuming the diver has enough dives at that time.
If nitrox is a no dive specialty like it is with other agencies, I would simply do it before your trip. It is probably the most important specialty after OW.
It is. No dive required for EAN
I would probably not spend your entire trip training and would do some fun diving. If you have the time, do Perfect Buoyancy if you think your buoyancy is quite deficient. Deep would be my other choice.
I’d agree with that. I’m betting that the academics for a
the specialties can be completed online in advance. Probably need to do a written test in person, then it’s just the dives. So a lot could be done before the trip.

SSI does not require skills to be accomplished in a neutral diver’s position. However, it is the recommended technique, “ Establish a stationary position on the bottom or the diving position (recommended)” (reference the skills descriptions on pages 94-140 of the SSI Open Water Diver Instructor Manual). While it is only a recommendation, my shop requires all instructors teach skills in the neutral diver’s position.

Is there an SSI course director (or equivalent) in the house, who can settle this debate regarding teaching in the neutral position?

@Polarorbit

If you can legally do so, can you provide the exact page where you are quoting from?

Is there an SSI course director (or equivalent) in the house, who can settle this debate regarding teaching in the neutral position?

@Polarorbit

If you can legally do so, can you provide the exact page where you are quoting from?
It’s in numerous locations. One is page 107, sweep method of regulator recovery. Again on page 108 for mask clearing. Pretty much every underwater skill includes that recommendation.

This is from the English Imperial version, since Americans can’t figure out the metric system. I can’t guarantee the page numbers are consistent in other languages.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

@BoltSnap
@wetb4igetinthewater

Appreciate if you can open this discussion in the Instructor to Instructor section of the forum

Any further argumentative behaviour will result in a thread ban.

Pretty much every underwater skill includes that recommendation.
So, it is a recommendation, not a requirement.
I don't like things that are ambiguous and open to interpretation, my way of thinking is "you do or you don't".
Most do [am I correct]?

Hello, this summer I got my SSI OW and I loved it. I have always wanted to try scuba because my father was a Divemaster. This winter im going to the Canary Islands (warm water) and I have time to do 4 specialties. Wich ones would you recommend me to choose? (With an SSI agency)

My initial idea was:

-Perfect buoyancy
-Deep diving
-Nitrox
-Wreck diving
Back to your question. These seem to be good choices. Nitrox can come in very handy at times and the other 3 can improve diving and/or safety. Wreck, however is maybe the least of those unless you plan to do penetration (I think someone mentioned you said you may be interested in an advanced Wreck course). One that I didn't take with PADI is Search & Recovery, which I figure at some point may come in handy. I assume SSI has something similar. Rescue is always recommended by everyone on SB, but it does take a bit of time. Navigation would also seem to be a worthwhile one. If at some point you take stuff like photography, Fish ID, etc. that would be something you are specifically interested in beyond improving diving/safety.

Back
Top Bottom