Question Which SSI speciality to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please take my tone being of one of complete sincerity. What exactly do you want to get out of a recreational wreck diving course? How do you think it will improve your skillset and/or give you knowledge allowing you to do a different category of dives?

These are conversations I like to have with potential students. Let's take navigation as an example. It should be more than following a compass but also the student should acquire a feel to how slopes and current impact the heading one takes. With how slopes can have an effect, try swimming a triangle pattern where there's a "reasonable" slope. It isn't easy to get back to the starting point which is one reason why I use it in courses. The same thing with current. It is very hard to determine how much you need to compensate for swimming underwater towards a target when dealing with current.

Same thing with buoyancy. These sorts of questions need to be answered to ensure you are getting the minimum value you require for your time and money.

For deep courses, there's nothing to going to a greater depth, but there is a requirement for improved situational awareness, acknowledging the impedance from narcosis that is exacerbated by gas density (a must to be discussed but missing from deep diving course materials: Performance Under Pressure), and emergency management.

I hope I'm not going off into the weeds but giving you something to think about that you will use to your benefit as you move forward with your training.

Good luck!
He mentioned wanting to do Advanced Wreck at some point. I don’t know about SSI, but TDI requires the recreational SDI wreck course (or equivalent) as a prerequisite. I had a rather rigorous SDI wreck course with limited penetration.

Order of importance:

1. Buoyancy

2. Navigation

3. Nitrox

4. Deep

5. Night

6. Wreck

7. Decompression for recreational divers

Note: Canary islands aren't "warm water" especially during winter afaik. Double check and suit accordingly.

I would consider the required dives when picking the courses. If your goal is to take classes, it won’t matter. If the goal is to dive the islands and take some classes, then look for classes that don’t interfere with enjoying the dives. Some qualifying dives are just dives while practicing or demonstrating skills. Others, particularly navigation, involve time consuming exercises.

Nitrox and deep would be my first choices. Buoyancy and night are good classes too

SSI now requires neutral buoyancy while doing skills uw in addition to primary donate.
Apparently the message did not get through to the OP's instructor.

Well I think DPV is more advanced and also pretty specific.
DPV requires a good understanding of how to dive safely. Also you need to be a quick thinker because this could go bad very quick if you're not paying attention. Consoled gauges are not conducive to scooters imo. They should be on your wrist or a nerd.

Apparently the message did not get through to the OP's instructor.

There are always two sides to the story 😁

There are always two sides to the story 😁
I see. So you are saying that the OP is lying about how he was instructed. Why would he do that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom