Question Which SSI speciality to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RegularScubaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, this summer I got my SSI OW and I loved it. I have always wanted to try scuba because my father was a Divemaster. This winter im going to the Canary Islands (warm water) and I have time to do 4 specialties. Wich ones would you recommend me to choose? (With an SSI agency)

My initial idea was:

-Perfect buoyancy
-Deep diving
-Nitrox
-Wreck diving

@RegularScubaDiver

For your open water course, were you placed on your knees? If so, perfect buoyancy would be a course, but you have to take it from someone that teaches open water neutrally buoyant and trimmed.

Nitrox is a must. Deep could be good depending on the instructor.

I would suggest wreck only from an instructor who teaches the recreational course, the extended range course, and the technical course. Recreational wreck courses are fluff, but if you have someone that teaches beyond that, then they will likely bring additional value.

Hello, this summer I got my SSI OW and I loved it. I have always wanted to try scuba because my father was a Divemaster. This winter im going to the Canary Islands (warm water) and I have time to do 4 specialties. Wich ones would you recommend me to choose? (With an SSI agency)

My initial idea was:

-Perfect buoyancy
-Deep diving
-Nitrox
-Wreck diving
Definitely Nitrox and Deep. Those are pretty useful.

Regarding Perfect Buoyancy, I'd say that depends a lot on you. I never took that course and don't really see a need to. If you feel this is an area where you are struggling, then it might be worth it.

Wreck is a possibility, but that's largely up to you as well. It could be fun, but I wouldn't say this one is strictly necessary, as it's non-penetration.

@RegularScubaDiver

For your open water course, were you placed on your knees? If so, perfect buoyancy would be a course, but you have to take it from someone that teaches open water neutrally buoyant and trimmed.

Nitrox is a must. Deep could be good depending on the instructor.

I would suggest wreck only from an instructor who teaches the recreational course, the extended range course, and the technical course. Recreational wreck courses are fluff, but if you have someone that teaches beyond that, then they will likely bring additional value.
We did couple bouyancy exercises in my OW as doing no-hand "push ups" and I controlled it very well. Maby because I love swimming and I find very confortable in the water.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Definitely Nitrox and Deep. Those are pretty useful.

Regarding Perfect Buoyancy, I'd say that depends a lot on you. I never took that course and don't really see a need to. If you feel this is an area where you are struggling, then it might be worth it.

Wreck is a possibility, but that's largely up to you as well. It could be fun, but I wouldn't say this one is strictly necessary, as it's non-penetration.
My idea is to take advanced wreck when possible, so I think basic wreck could be the way to go. Thanks for the advice!

My idea is to take advanced wreck when possible, so I think basic wreck could be the way to go. Thanks for the advice!
Advanced Wreck might have tech training prerequisites. Just an FYI.

Nitrox can be done at home. It’s just eLearning and a couple of hours of review and learning how to analyze tank at dive shop. No dives necessary.

Back
Top Bottom