Which Spring Straps for SP Jetfin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen different spring straps on the market, anywhere from $30-$80. What does everybody recommend and why?

I just want simple straps nothing with an attached Air2 as-- Rick Inman put it :D
My jetfins are a Medium and I have a typical small woman's ankle, if that matters.

scubamickey:
I've seen different spring straps on the market, anywhere from $30-$80. What does everybody recommend and why?

I just want simple straps nothing with an attached Air2 as-- Rick Inman put it :D
My jetfins are a Medium and I have a typical small woman's ankle, if that matters.

What size of boot you are wearing? MY GF is wearing size 6 ~ 6 1/2 and 5 on Rock boot. I made a famous "H" spring strap by using the genuine SP buckles, delrin rod, and SS springs from McMaster...

I think the best strap is to use SP genuine buckle because it is darn easy to install and uninstall later. I think SP is selling their own strap...Halcyon is also using the same design...

Second one is the wire one that is a typical spring strap design. Sometimes, it is hard to install and uninstall the strap because of the wire's regidity...

hoosier:
What size of boot you are wearing? MY GF is wearing size 6 ~ 6 1/2 and 5 on Rock boot. I made a famous "H" spring strap by using the genuine SP buckles, delrin rod, and SS springs from McMaster...

I think the best strap is to use SP genuine buckle because it is darn easy to install and uninstall later. I think SP is selling their own strap...Halcyon is also using the same design...

Second one is the wire one that is a typical spring strap design. Sometimes, it is hard to install and uninstall the strap because of the wire's regidity...

I'll be wearing these fins with 5mm booties, mens size 7. Getting the right size online is going to be hard.

scubamickey:
I'll be wearing these fins with 5mm booties, mens size 7. Getting the right size online is going to be hard.

Your size is in a normal range. The beauty of spring is not that much sensitive to the size except your size isn't extreme. My GF is also using an ordinary 11inch spring. It fits great without any slip or pressure...

For SP spring, the large is enough....
For other springs, it used to be one size....

One tip: after buying the strap, put the spool line inside of spring to prevent the spring stretch over time. That's another reason why I recommend SP bucke design because you can replace the spring later....

attachment.php

Thanks Hoosier. I might order those from Leisurepro. The MSRP in the ScubaPro catalog I have shows $80 so that $59.99 is good.

Try this site: http://www.spring-straps.com/

Got mine from him. Great product and service.

Ciao,

hoosier:
Your size is in a normal range. The beauty of spring is not that much sensitive to the size except your size isn't extreme. My GF is also using an ordinary 11inch spring. It fits great without any slip or pressure...

For SP spring, the large is enough....
For other springs, it used to be one size....

Hmm... I got interested in this sizing issue. I have to get spring straps now that I finalized the size of my Jetfins. Got new boots (Bare Ice boot size 6), and upgraded fin size to large. Large fins are pretty big for me but with the hard sole boot, medium would not cut it height-wise. I was pretty sure I should get medium size spring straps but I tried buddy's Halcyon's (size large). I would have to say I was exactly in the extreme end of fitting into those - any smaller feet/boots and looseness would have been annoying.

So, I was curious as to the comment about the sizes. I think it would matter beyond extremes - or maybe I just like the fins to suck nicely onto the feet. What I wanted to know is if anyone knew if Scubapro straps were exactly the same as Halcyons and whether the other mentioned straps are the same stiffness etc.

I definately would opt for ones with a sock on, Mickey, by the way :)

Just dont get the style that makes you cut off the nub and attach the springs with screws and back plate. That is certain death for a pair of fins.

Just get whatever kind you like that the ends slip over the nub and you will be fine.

Snowbear:
Wayward son was selling them for $35 last year. I bought a pair to use on the jetfins I use for work. They are good and he makes them whatever size you need.

I don't know if he's still making them, but it would be worth a PM to find out :)

I've been in touch with him and as soon as I buy my new booties I'm going to have him make me a set of straps. They are very nice and much more reasonably priced than Halcyon or Scubapro :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom