Which regulator is best for both cold and warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I prefer Atomic (as I posted) I also own an Apeks 200 and 50 set, they really are great regulators with one exception, the purge is too easily triggered by water pressure against the front of the reg, such as when being propelled by a Diver Propulsion Vehicle, and sometimes get stuck free flowing. I have heard that the problem doesn't exist in the DS4, and has more recently been corrected (stiffened) in other models. Though I have no personal experience to share regarding this improvement.

I wish you the best though, they are excellent regulators for all around purposes. You'll not look back from your purchase. Post again after you've done few dives to let us all know what you think.

Hey Rick I live in Toronto and dive locally in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence from April to October and I take about 4/5 week-long warm water trips a year.

I've tried many regs including the high end Scubabros and the Atomic line. I settled with the Sherwood Blizzard due to it's cold water history, it's overall performance (i've seen reg setups that use Apeks or Atomic or Scubapro Second Stages with a Sherwood First Stage) and it's reliability.

They are also great value for your dollar. Are they the best in performance? No they are not but that can be debated endlessly. I have taken the Blizzard many times in the 120-140 foot range and noticed no increase in breathing resistance.

Also you need to think about how many people can service the high end regs. Sherwoods are some of the easiest regs to fix.

Just my 0.02 worth!

Cheers.

I'd vote for the TX50/DS4 + TX50 on the octo rather than the ATX200. The ATX50 isn't normally on a DS4, at least not in the US. The ATX50 comes with the DST & swapping things out runs up the cost, at least here in the US it does anyway.
Save some bucks & ya won't be sacrificing any performance.

I don't use the Sherwood Blizzard, I have a Sherwood Oasis. The two are fundementally the same--the same pieces of metal that keep me from getting dry mouth in the warm waters keep my heat in the reg after I breath out in cold areas. Sherwoods cost some money. There isn't anything I can say about that. But they're amazingly tough, they REALLY keep the bubbles away from your line of sight, and just don't seem to ever break.
I bought mine after asking a local friend who happens to be an underwater documentarian. He swears by his.

Bob3:
I'd vote for the TX50/DS4 + TX50 on the octo rather than the ATX200. The ATX50 isn't normally on a DS4, at least not in the US. The ATX50 comes with the DST & swapping things out runs up the cost, at least here in the US it does anyway.
Save some bucks & ya won't be sacrificing any performance.

How much does the switch-out run? Is there any difference between the DST and the DS4 other than the turret?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom