Which regulator is best for both cold and warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi:
Hey Storm.......I like you sig line!! :D

Thanks man ...its a paraphrase from a film entitled Pool Hall Junkies.

The actual quote, made by character played by Rod Stieger
"Oh every day is a good day...Just try missing one"

Cheers!

Storm: Both the Apex and Atomics seem to be very popular around here. Water doesn't get really cold though, only to around 45 F.

I looked at both the Apex and Atomics and went with an Atomic Z2 / Z1 combo, due to the longer service interval and the fact that the Atomics are said to breath incredibly easy, independent of model.

Several of the people I dive with have the Apex setup and are extremely happy.

Best of luck

Bjorn

Well after a great one on two Introducton to Regulator science and service hosted by a very knowledgable and respected local regulator technician, Kevin, and attended by Judy and I, the decision has been made.

The winner is Apeks DS4 first stage and we'll couple that with 2 ATX50s one for our primary, the other for our secondary.

Taking into consideration our short, and mid term diving goals, and leaving ourselves open for all possibilites for the longer term, we decided that it would be best if pick the one setup that appers to afford the best possible solution for all of our curent plans, future potetial plans, and would have the longevity to take us where we want to go and beyond.

I'm sure that there are other rigs out there that could do this as well, but after seeing the units, their components and taking into account service warantees, and expected life span, we felt the Apeks showed themselves, for our purposes, to be best of breed, and the best long term financial investment.

Thanks to all for your siggestions, and help, and a HUGE THANKS to Kevin for taiking the time to educate these two rookies on the inner workings of these units, and for giving us a good foundation of technical knowledge to build upon.

Cheers!

Storm:
Thanks man ...its a paraphrase from a film entitled Pool Hall Junkies.

The actual quote, made by character played by Rod Stieger
"Oh every day is a good day...Just try missing one"

Cheers!

Are you a pool player by any chance?

Storm:
The winner is Apeks DS4 first stage and we'll couple that with 2 ATX50s one for our primary, the other for our secondary.

Great choice, i'm sure you will be happy with the DS4. I recently got 2 DS4s with ATX50/40s and they do work as well as everyone says, fantastic breathers at a great price.

2DiveOrNot2Dive:
Are you a pool player by any chance?

I have been seen some of the local billiard establishments, and even been know to pick up a cue...once and a while.:wink:

Nice to see the APEX guys winning this race..........so glad I know what they are talking about.

Storm:
I have been seen some of the local billiard establishments, and even been know to pick up a cue...once and a while.:wink:

I ask because I play. :) I'd say I play "semi-professionally" since I don't make my living at it - there isn't much money to make in pool no matter how well you play (unless the IPT takes off - www.internationalpooltour.com). I know a handful of your countrymen who are pretty good players. :)

Guys and Gals,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but this was not a competition to see which regulator "is the best", but was a thread started to determine the best fit for my wife and I and based on the majority of our diving being undertaken in the darker and colder water of the Great Lakes system.

I appreciate all of your feedback, but as the decision has already been made, and this was based on the input from you folks, the manufacturers technical specifications and in no small part by the opinions of many of the local technical divers and regulator technicians. For these reasons we selected the Apeks line, I'm certain that a similar exersize done by another set of divers in another region, may very well yield another supplier.

This is not to say that there are not other regulators of comparable quality, but for our purposes, given our local support, and dive conditions, the Apeks line came out in front.

Of course you all may feel free to keep this thread alive with other opinions, and for the sake of other new divers looking into different set ups, this may prove valuable, but for Judy and I the decision has been made and is final.

I want to thank you all for your contrubitons they were invaluable in assisting us in our analysis and decision making process.

Sincerely,

Rick...aka Storm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom