Which regulator is best for both cold and warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do 130-150 cold water dives per year and I like the Mk 17. I have not found a first stage that is more freeze resistant in cold water. It also offers more than enough performance for deep air technical trimix diving and is relatively compact and lightweight for traveling.

Scubapro packages the Mk 17 with both the X650 and S550 in the US and Canada. But Scubapro dealers can also special order it with any Scubapro second stage. The MK 17 G250HP offers superb performance for less money than the X650 and the MK 17 R295 would make an excellent low cost cold water regulator if price is an issue.

DA Aquamaster:
I do 130-150 cold water dives per year and I like the Mk 17. I have not found a first stage that is more freeze resistant in cold water. It also offers more than enough performance for deep air technical trimix diving and is relatively compact and lightweight for traveling.

Scubapro packages the Mk 17 with both the X650 and S550 in the US and Canada. But Scubapro dealers can also special order it with any Scubapro second stage. The MK 17 G250HP offers superb performance for less money than the X650 and the MK 17 R295 would make an excellent low cost cold water regulator if price is an issue.

I looked into the Scubapro line, and liked the literature in the MK17, with the X650. There are two local dealers soe service is not an isssue (bothe dealer have very good reps). One thing the Apeks and Serwood have is a heat exhanger set up in the second stage, which I was told virtually eliminate freeze up potential.

Perhaps I need to go back and look again.

Thanks

I use an X650 on my full face mask and have never had any problems with freeze ups even when ice diving in 34 degree water.

The G250 has an excellent cold water track record as well.

One thing that helps any second stage in cold water is to remove any rubber boot that may be present over the inlet fitting where the hose enters the second stage. The X650 is one such reg that is afflicted with a trim boot. They look nice, but they do tend to insulate the fitting and they reduce heat transfer so removing them is usually a good idea.

Storm:
One of the more experienced divers on my local board has mentioned the DS4/ATX40/50 combo. I guess I'll have to go back and look at my notes on Apeks again. I did notie that that the ATX200 appears to have a sorter frsit stage, and taht would allow my wife to move her tank forwad more without hitting her head...she needs to be able to get the tank forward a bit more to help her trim out.

Thanks all...keep them coming.

DS4 + 2 x ATX50 is all you need. Slick and affordable, and a performer in cold water. Also, the DS4 has the same performance from all LP ports, where as the FSR has a dedicated port for the 2. stage. It's an issue if you want to rig your 1. stage head down for better protection, or if you get into doubles. Then DS4 is your best choice.

(It looks better too, in my opinion! -Shows that you go for performance before flash...)

Storm:
One of the more experienced divers on my local board has mentioned the DS4/ATX40/50 combo. I guess I'll have to go back and look at my notes on Apeks again. I did notie that that the ATX200 appears to have a sorter frsit stage, and taht would allow my wife to move her tank forwad more without hitting her head...she needs to be able to get the tank forward a bit more to help her trim out.

Thanks all...keep them coming.

Poseidon Xstream...

Lake Champlain to Belize :)
is that a big enough temperature differential?

Paul in VT

I dive a Poseidon Xstream. I can't tell you about warm water performance. Warm for me is a 50 degree bottom temp. I have had it down to 150 feet and the deeper you go the smoother it gets. I had it on a wreck two weeks ago on the deck at 120 feet it was 35 degrees on my computer and my spg's temp guage was pegged on the bottom. Pro The reg breaths very well and just won't freeze. Con you get an occasional ice shard down the throat.

Jim

Dive rite 2500 with the cold water kit, get is soon some places are still ofering it with both the RG2010 and RG1210 so you wont even have to buy an octo. BTW this solution would also be the last set of regs you will need to buy. Good for Nitrox , DIR , Rec, etc etc.

Storm:
Zeagle has many of the features and satisfies many of the requirements that were part of my evaluation, except they failed on one major requirement....no dealer in Ottawa, and no certified dealer in the province of Ontario. (The closest domestic dealer is in Calgary Alberta...at least according to their web site.)

Timely service and reapir was one of the "non-performance" based criteria (these were not listed above) . The manufacturer has to have a local dealer and service rep. It's not fair to all, but it is one of my requirements. This should in no way reflect negativey with their product, they just failed on this one major criteria.

The place listed on Zeagles site is the distributor for Canada. I don't know about Ottawa but there are a couple shops that deal with Zeagle in the GTA. Apeks is much more easily found.

dirthead:
I have an ATX200 and love it. If I were purchasing again, I would go with the ATX50 w/DS4 though. Less money and the same breathing performance.

Now here's an honest guy! And he's right, Im not sure they get any better than this set up. The price is right, and they work like an Army mule. Winner! What ever you decide, let us know!

Back
Top Bottom