Which reg/what to consider? S/P Mk25 and 2nds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ScubadriverDale search on here for instances where the low scratch resistance of titanium caused a piston replacement in improperly sealed Atomics. It's all about how good a job the service tech seals it. Diaphragms are pretty much idiot proof in that regard. I'm sure @rsingler can weigh in on specifics since he owns them and dives them.

@BurhanMuntasser to flip this back on you. As all modern regulators are flow limited by the valve so the "improved flow" of a piston is useless, what makes a piston regulator inherently better than a diaphragm since that is the argument you are trying to make?

@ScubadriverDale search on here for instances where the low scratch resistance of titanium caused a piston replacement in improperly sealed Atomics. It's all about how good a job the service tech seals it. Diaphragms are pretty much idiot proof in that regard. I'm sure @rsingler can weigh in on specifics since he owns them and dives them.

@BurhanMuntasser to flip this back on you. As all modern regulators are flow limited by the valve so the "improved flow" of a piston is useless, what makes a piston regulator inherently better than a diaphragm since that is the argument you are trying to make?
An Atomic can be improperly filled, as in under filled, which can allow some water back into the ambient chamber if it’s depressurized wet, so in certain circumstances water or fine micro abrasives could infiltrate. The likelyhood of piston damage is remote, the more likely damage from abrasives is the chamber walls, a much worse situation than a damaged piston.

I don’t like diaphragm Regs, I have no real reason other than my having only having issues with diaphragm Regs, not all just a few and I have picked up 40 year old Aqua Lung Regs that have sat in boxes that perform perfectly with rock solid IP’s.

The simple fact is that an unsealed diaphragm regulator is not likely to suffer any harm in any crappy diving environment, a sealed diaphragm is even better, an unsealed piston does run the risk of abrasive damage, a sealed piston greatly lessens the risk.

I do find piston Regs easier to service with fewer parts to keep track of, I’m used to them and am completely comfortable working on them, I see AL as the most common regulators on earth as I travel and the ocean isn’t overwhelmed with dead divers, other than those with Air 2, split fins and pony bottles.

So its ALMOST failure prone. Please explain these risks. you may use random internet graphs if it helps your story.
Hopefully this will clear it up for you.
article-2640550-1E45C57300000578-400_634x281.jpg

An Atomic can be improperly filled, as in under filled, which can allow some water back into the ambient chamber if it’s depressurized wet, so in certain circumstances water or fine micro abrasives could infiltrate. The likelyhood of piston damage is remote, the more likely damage from abrasives is the chamber walls, a much worse situation than a damaged piston.

I don’t like diaphragm Regs, I have no real reason other than my having only having issues with diaphragm Regs, not all just a few and I have picked up 40 year old Aqua Lung Regs that have sat in boxes that perform perfectly with rock solid IP’s.

The simple fact is that an unsealed diaphragm regulator is not likely to suffer any harm in any crappy diving environment, a sealed diaphragm is even better, an unsealed piston does run the risk of abrasive damage, a sealed piston greatly lessens the risk.

I do find piston Regs easier to service with fewer parts to keep track of, I’m used to them and am completely comfortable working on them, I see AL as the most common regulators on earth as I travel and the ocean isn’t overwhelmed with dead divers, other than those with Air 2, split fins and pony bottles.
True that! I only breath with my pony when my grease packed titanium reg freezes up in saltwater. I will say the Air 2 can be a life saver as it has a larger hose to help fill bcd quicker and get you to the surface rocket fast!

True that! I only breath with my pony when my grease packed titanium reg freezes up in saltwater. I will say the Air 2 can be a life saver as it has a larger hose to help fill bcd quicker and get you to the surface rocket fast!

I know this is being ridiculous, but it was never about freezing, it was about non-repairable damage to the regulator if the packing was not done properly

I know this is being ridiculous, but it was never about freezing, it was about non-repairable damage to the regulator if the packing was not done properly

ANY repair or work on ANY regulator done improperly will cause damage, possibly non-repairable damage, to the regulator or any piece of dive equipment. Give me break here @tbone1004, what you are talking about is a totally non-issue, NONE! You can use the wrong wrench, torque or slip while tightening something in a regulator and you would have caused damage and possibly you'd have to throw away the regulator part if it were in a sensitive part of the regulator. You can leave the first stage body in the cleaning solution few minutes more than you should and you will have to throw it away after the chrome finish was cleaned away from the brass. The list goes on and one with scenarios that are far easier to and more likely to happen than improper packing of Christolube in an Atomic first stage. If you use the proper specific tool and follow instructions, it will be almost impossible to do it wrong, unless you are very high or drunk of course.

Back
Top Bottom