Which reg/what to consider? S/P Mk25 and 2nds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well @tbone1004, you could join me with a Sherwood, sealed reg, no grease and no diaphragm. I like the old used Poseidon I picked up, but I can't afford a fleet of them unless I get really lucky again, many times over.

Bob

Well @tbone1004, you could join me with a Sherwood, sealed reg, no grease and no diaphragm. I like the old used Poseidon I picked up, but I can't afford a fleet of them unless I get really lucky again, many times over.

Bob

thankfully servicin them is cheap and I tend to be able to find doubles reg sets for like $250. Probably double that once I get new hoses/adapters/rebuild kits, but still pretty inexpensive.
Don't like those old Sherwoods, bad hose routing for what I need them for.

MK 25 EVO/S620 Ti
MK 25 EVO/G260 BT
MK 25 EVO/A700

I don't have any experience with the other two regs you mentioned but I do have a MK 25 EVO/S620 Ti and works like champ, You won't be disappointed if you go that route, I guarantee it..

Ok I need some clarification please. For dirty water, salty, sugary or whatever is dirty, what sealed 1st stage is being recommended: Apeks?

Thanks.

A MK 17 would be a good choice for the muck, so would most other diaphragm Regs. A MK 25 would not be a muck choice. An Atomic T like your T3 is sealed not just packed with grease also the titanium is pretty much corrosion proof, the piston is Monel as is the swivel retainer and those are pretty corrosion proof too. It is highly unlikely that sand will ever get inside your sealed T because of the way the environmental seal fits the body and it is puffed out with grease when pressurized and there isn’t usually to much water around when depressurized.

Sand etc. can get into an unsealed piston and score the sealing surface so keep than in mind for the MK 25.

A MK 17 would be a good choice for the muck, so would most other diaphragm Regs. A MK 25 would not be a muck choice. An Atomic T like your T3 is sealed not just packed with grease also the titanium is pretty much corrosion proof, the piston is Monel as is the swivel retainer and those are pretty corrosion proof too. It is highly unlikely that sand will ever get inside your sealed T because of the way the environmental seal fits the body and it is puffed out with grease when pressurized and there isn’t usually to much water around when depressurized.

Sand etc. can get into an unsealed piston and score the sealing surface so keep than in mind for the MK 25.

Wait the T3 is actually environmentally sealed not just packed with grease like @tbone1004 is saying? He said its pretend sealed with grease.

Wait the T3 is actually environmentally sealed not just packed with grease like @tbone1004 is saying? He said its pretend sealed with grease.

"Features of All Atomic Aquatics First Stages: Optional environmental seal kit for freeze protection at low temperatures" Features of All Atomic Aquatics First Stages

Common for piston sealing is to fill with grease and then put a flexible rubber cover band over the grease / pressure passage ports. The band sits in a groove around the body of the reg. That seems in agreement with the below post on the Atomic.

An Atomic T like your T3 is sealed not just packed with grease also the titanium is pretty much corrosion proof, the piston is Monel as is the swivel retainer and those are pretty corrosion proof too. It is highly unlikely that sand will ever get inside your sealed T because of the way the environmental seal fits the body and it is puffed out with grease when pressurized and there isn’t usually to much water around when depressurized

Diaphragm regs screw a second, environmental, diaphragm in place that prevents water entry.
The space between diaphragms is just filled with air.
File:First stage animation.gif - Wikipedia

Old thread: Clarification regarding "environmentally sealed"

All Atomics can be sealed with “grease and a rubber band” but it’s not as failure prone as perhaps described in this thread.

Diaphragm regs screw a second, environmental, diaphragm in place that prevents water entry.

SEALED diaphragm regs.

There are also unsealed diaphragm regs (eg Mk11)

All Atomics can be sealed with “grease and a rubber band” but it’s not as failure prone as perhaps described in this thread.

So its ALMOST failure prone. Please explain these risks. you may use random internet graphs if it helps your story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom