which reg to keep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yardpro

Contributor
Reaction score
Morehead City, North Carolina, United States
# of dives
0 - 24
so i bid on a few regs on eay and won them all.....CRAP...

My current setup is a conshelf 20 with a conshelf 20 second and a tusa octo.

the new regs are :

us divers conshelf SEA 1st stage

oceanic delta 2nd stage

two oceanic first stage, one is longer, this and chrome
the other is shorter and a matte finish

hope those descriptions help....

my question is what should i use.

i want a backup set, but will be selling the rest.

When this happens to me I just keep them all. LOL

I have a few questions for you:

1) What is the size of the ports on your first stage? I believe a Conshelf 20 is the same first stage as a Conshelf 14 and uses standard 3/8" LP ports and a 3/8 HP port.

2) What is the size of the ports on the SEA first stage? Depending on the date of manufacture I have seen them with all LP ports 1/2" or only one LP port 1/2". If you want a backup set then both should use the same hoses.

Personally I would recommend keeping the Conshelf 20 first and second and use the Delta as the octo and sell the rest. If you want a backup set then I would recommend buying a Conshelf 14, 21, 22, or a SEA 3. A SEA 2 MAY work but you need verify the ports. I have seen complete sets go on eBay for around $100 or less.

yes all my conshelf 20 ports are the standard 3/8.

I have been told by the dive shop that the conshelf is a "military" spec and the hp pors is on the wrong side...

I Have been using the conshelf for a few years now and am happy with them

So you think that the adjustable delta should be an octo not a primary?

The tusa octo was a new octo... get rid of that?

my old octo was a royal that looked very similar to the conshelf.

I bought a used tusa first stage and a 100 foot hose and had the royal hooked on it for bottom cleaning, and pool work (part of our business is commercial pool work).

A tech was using it and said he suddenly got a mouth full of water. I took it to the shop and the tech said it was unsafe as there were no longer parts available and it was junk...

Well the DIY got the best of me and i took it apart and cleaned everything.... works like a champ (although it is no only for pool work...

i want to assemble a few sets of regs, so i am trying to see the differences between the units...

here is what i got:

Oceanic Delta Adjustable 2nd Stage Scuba Diving Dive Regulator | eBay

Oceanic 1st Stage LP Ports on Turret Scuba Diving Dive Regulator | eBay

US Divers Conshelf Sea 1st Stage Scuba Diving Dive Regulator | eBay

Oceanic 1st Stage Scuba Diving Dive Regulator | eBay

the delta 2nd is pretty much the only piece that could be an upgrade over what you have. the sea isn't a bad first stage, but it is heavier and has an annoying 1/2 inch port, so your conshelf 20 is a better bet. one of the oceanics looks like a mk5. that might be worth fixing and keeping. you would have to ask someone more familiar with oceanic regs though.

If you are a DIYer then I would strongly recommend standardizing on one type of regulator rather than just purchasing random items off eBay. Standardization allows you to minimize your investments in specialized tools and parts kits. Because you like Conshelfs I would stick with them. They are inexpensive on eBay and are good performers.

Anyway I would keep Conshelf 20 and the TUSA. I would keep the Delta 2. I would keep the shinny Oceanic first (PX-2?) because you can purchase after market seats for it. I would sell the one with the satin finish. I would sell the SEA because the 1/2" LP ports are a pain.

If you like Conshelfs the best first stages to purchase are Conshelf 21 and 22 because they have normal ports. The SE3 is not bad because it only has one 1/2" port. The second stages are virtually the same for Conshelfs but try to stick to the newer looking ones. They did have a problem with cracking on some of the plastic cases.

If the reg breaths wet that is a sign of leakage. The first things I would check are the diaphragm and the exhaust valve. Sometimes they also breath wet if you are in an odd position in the water. I am sure that you can still purchase service items for the Conshelf 20 octo but actual parts are probably not available.

thanks.

i have no issues with the conshelfs i have.. i hae not tried many other regs so i am not sure if they are better or worse.

I agree about the standardizing... I really did not think i was going to get all these..

i took the wet second apart (royal), cleaned and inspected everything, got a rebuild kit online and put it back together and it works wonderfully....

thanks for the patience with this question, I am trying to become more familiar with the gear end of diving, and i am a HUGE diy guy. I be becoming familiar with the service end of the equipment and will be doing my own service.

There are better and there are worse regulators but the Conshelfs are better than most. For the second stages you can punch your own seats for pennies and use generic o-rings. The first stage kits are fairly easy to come by. The Conshelf first stages are tried and true and go a long time between services.

Here is a good guide to the Conshelf series: Vintage Double Hose ? View topic - Ultimate Conshelf Model Guide

My advice would be to sell them both and use the money to buy an Aqualung.

R..

so i bid on a few regs on eay and won them all.....CRAP...

My current setup is a conshelf 20 with a conshelf 20 second and a tusa octo.

the new regs are :

us divers conshelf SEA 1st stage

oceanic delta 2nd stage

two oceanic first stage, one is longer, this and chrome
the other is shorter and a matte finish

hope those descriptions help....

my question is what should i use.

i want a backup set, but will be selling the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom