Which model first stage is this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello, can anyone tell me the model of this first stage? I've spent countless hours comparing photos and there's always a small, and perhaps irrelevant detail that isn't exactly the same. Helpful clues, I inherited it with some older Scubapro and Tekna gear, thus pointing me in that direction. Appears to be Scubapro, Mk5?, but see no name on the yoke.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 372
The body and turret look like my MkV's. Mine are older and have the thumbscrew rather than the round rubber knob that this has. My yoke also doesn't say 4000psi.

It looks like a Scubapro Mk 5 second generation Spec. The plastic cap covering the intake does not seem original, probably from an older Mk5. It should look more like a rubber ball. The round knob over the plastic cap may be original if it says Mk5 on it. These were more often sold outside the US, but were found on some of the very last Mk 5s sold here.

An excellent regulator that probably already has a stainless steel swivel bolt.

The body and turret look like my MkV's. Mine are older and have the thumbscrew rather than the round rubber knob that this has. My yoke also doesn't say 4000psi.

That is what is throwing me off, no "Scubapro" yoke knob. However, on the website there is a timeline, it shows a plastic knob, but different type, no "4000". Also, at the top of the turret there appears to be a lp port on the website, and mine does not have that (can't see that it is plain in the photo).

It may be a SP with an Oceanic yoke and knob on it. The knob is Oceanic I am pretty sure.

It looks like a Scubapro Mk 5 second generation Spec. The plastic cap covering the intake does not seem original, probably from an older Mk5. It should look more like a rubber ball. The round knob over the plastic cap may be original if it says Mk5 on it. These were more often sold outside the US, but were found on some of the very last Mk 5s sold here.

An excellent regulator that probably already has a stainless steel swivel bolt.

i think you are on to something. I wonder if for some reason the yoke and knob was changed, or maybe original from Europe? The knob is plain, no markings. The people that had it were from Europe, so maybe.
I was restoring an old Scubapro 108 it came with and found a new in box 108 on eBay for $66, so I bought it. Not sure what to do with the old 108 I have, though I also inherited a Scubapro Mk5 first gen, that I've read is not 3000psi compatible w/o upgrading the yoke. So I might sell those together. You say this possible MkV is an excellent reg? Do you think it would be a nice match to the 108 second stage?

---------- Post added June 28th, 2015 at 08:17 PM ----------

Do you still dive your MkVs? I believe they are not 3000psi, so do you dive them with the lower pressure steel tanks, or have you upgraded?

It may be a SP with an Oceanic yoke and knob on it. The knob is Oceanic I am pretty sure.

Well now I'm really stumped - did a quick google image search and found the spitting image of what I have, minus the intake stopper, but appears to be an old image and ad, can't get any info on it. I'll try to post the image...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 322
i think you are on to something. I wonder if for some reason the yoke and knob was changed, or maybe original from Europe? The knob is plain, no markings. The people that had it were from Europe, so maybe.
I was restoring an old Scubapro 108 it came with and found a new in box 108 on eBay for $66, so I bought it. Not sure what to do with the old 108 I have, though I also inherited a Scubapro Mk5 first gen, that I've read is not 3000psi compatible w/o upgrading the yoke. So I might sell those together. You say this possible MkV is an excellent reg? Do you think it would be a nice match to the 108 second stage?

---------- Post added June 28th, 2015 at 08:17 PM ----------

Do you still dive your MkVs? I believe they are not 3000psi, so do you dive them with the lower pressure steel tanks, or have you upgraded?
I dive Mk 5s more than any other regulator. They are my favorite, and I dive the several I own regularly.

A 108 second stage would match just fine, though a 109 or its balanced 156 version of a 109 would be my choice. The Mk 5, and 108/109/156 second stages are easy to work on and to fine tune to extraordinarily fine breathing levels. Properly cared for, they will outlive you. I know mine will, and one set I've owned since 1972 is still going strong.

I use my mk5/109 regs on 3500+ hp steel tanks, but the Mk 5s have been converted to DIN. I would not hesitate to use yours at at least that level after it's been checked out. That's a very strong yoke.

Very similar to my Scubapro SPEC Mk5 but mine has more holes in the ambient chamber than the one pictured. The yoke is definitely not Scubapro. I suspect it is a clone.

Back
Top Bottom