Which model first stage is this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you have an Oceanic clone of the MK5 as others have suggested. The regulator on the right side of the photo below is what I believe to be the Oceanic clone of the MK5. Without taking the regulator apart the only difference I see is that the turret and the seat ends have more of a rounded edge. Inside the main difference is the heavier turret bolt in the Oceanic. Both are easily rebuilt with aftermarket O-rings and HP seat.

IMG_0058 (2).jpg

Do you still dive your MkVs? I believe they are not 3000psi, so do you dive them with the lower pressure steel tanks, or have you upgraded?

Mine say 3000 psi at the top, by the thumb screw. Yes, I still dive them occasionally but mostly I dive my Conshelfs. They all breathe great.

Very similar to my Scubapro SPEC Mk5 but mine has more holes in the ambient chamber than the one pictured. The yoke is definitely not Scubapro. I suspect it is a clone.

I think you are right, based on some of the comments I am starting to come to the conclusion it is not SP.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 07:54 PM ----------

I think you have an Oceanic clone of the MK5 as others have suggested. The regulator on the right side of the photo below is what I believe to be the Oceanic clone of the MK5. Without taking the regulator apart the only difference I see is that the turret and the seat ends have more of a rounded edge. Inside the main difference is the heavier turret bolt in the Oceanic. Both are easily rebuilt with aftermarket O-rings and HP seat.

View attachment 211539
Very interesting. I was definitely fooled, as were others at the dive shop. I wasn't aware there were such convincing clones produced. Thank you.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 07:58 PM ----------

Used your image to do a reverse image search. Found this website claiming that it is an Oceanic regulator.
Barter and Trade Page - Bartering or Selling
That's funny, appears to be the image I posted above after a search, but it seems you have found more information and the actual link the image came from, nail on the head there. Has to be an Oceanic.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 08:10 PM ----------

Thank you kindly all, I think we have determined the regulator is an Oceanic. I'm not certain which model however.
I mentioned having an old SP MkV, appears to have the first lower pressure yoke. Looking for solutions; perhaps I could steel the yoke off the Oceanic and put it on the MkV, settle with the Oceanic/SP 108 match (though for nostalgia's sake I would prefer an actual SP 1st stage), or sell them both and simply purchase a 3000+psi rated SP first stage. I've read a yoke could be purchased for the MkV, but I assume that would cost nearly the same as an entire used unit. I have read in some parts that people simply dive with the lower pressure yoke on 3000psi tanks, though I'm not certain I'm comfortable with that. Especially since it will be my deco/get home safe set up.
Any opinions?

I'm not certain which model however. I mentioned having an old SP MkV, appears to have the first lower pressure yoke. Looking for solutions; perhaps I could steel the yoke off the Oceanic and put it on the MkV, settle with the Oceanic/SP 108 match (though for nostalgia's sake I would prefer an actual SP 1st stage), or sell them both and simply purchase a 3000+psi rated SP first stage. I've read a yoke could be purchased for the MkV, but I assume that would cost nearly the same as an entire used unit.

I believe Oceanic calls your regulator model the Pre-95 Balanced Piston. The Scubapro and the Oceanic should be functionally identical and the heavier turret bolt in the Oceanic makes it slightly better in my opinion. That said, I was Scubapro brainwashed in OW as a youth and would personally try and find a 3000 psi yoke for the MK5.

Early Oceanic PX2

If you open it up, please post a picture of the turret bolt (retainer.) I have a couple of odd ball retainers that I'm trying to place. If one of them matches yours and you want it, consider it your's for the cost of shipping.

BTW I think Frogkick has the manual for the PX2.

Couv

I am not familiar with the early model of the PX-2, but the later model uses a completely different seat retainer and HP seat than the MK5 or Pre-95 Oceanic. The photo below shows what I believe to be the Pre-95 Oceanic seat and retainer on the left and the PX-2 on the right. I may have misidentified the Pre-95 regulator but I have PX-2 rebuild kits and they definitely use the seat on the right. In addition the PX-2 uses bushings in a similar fashion to the MK 20/25 for the body piston O-ring.

IMG_0064 (2).jpg

Hi NotSure,

Thank you for the input and pictures. However, I should have been a bit more specific. The retainer I'm referring to attaches the swivel (turret) to the piston cap. The swivel is item 41, the retainer is item 37, and the cap is item 38 in the PX2 Doc 12-2210-r02 dated 4/23/2002

There are also interesting notes in the supplemental information on page 14 regarding parts compatibility between old and new.

Apparently, the new seat is compatible with current and older parts.

Here is a picture of the two oddball swivel retainers I have. The one with the round head I believe fits the PX2. It looks very similar to the retainer a ScubaPro MK 10 uses.

Last edited:
Hi couv, thanks for the info. I looked at the supplemental info and see that you are correct about the HP seats being backward compatible. That does not change my opinion that my regulator is a Pre-95 is not a PX-2. I also have a later PX-2 and they are completely different regulators. The page you referred to also says the exploded view on page 13 can be used for reference on older units. I believe it shows the body O-ring with bushings, not a machined grove like the MK5. The photo's below show that the interior of my regulator is identical to the late model MK5's except for the turret retainer. The turret retainer is just like the MK10 as you suggest. I can't be sure the OP's regulator is the same as mine, but I don't think mine is a PX-2.

IMG_5019.jpgIMG_5018.jpg

Well now I'm struck with even more curiosity and must open up this first stage. I'd like to compare it to the aforementioned info and photos. I suppose I need to open it anyhow just to check it out.
It strikes me as odd that so many first stages have no markings as to model or make. Sure would save some time. This has turned out to be a bit of a history lesson really. I'm also surprised to learn so many different copies of the MkV were made.
All this has has got my vintage juices going and I went off and bought a "new in box" Scubapro 108, pristine off eBay. Still had the tags. Now what, restore the old one and have two, or sell it? I haven't even figured out the first stage dilemma, keep the Oceanic or restore the MkV!

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2015 at 08:57 PM ----------

Early Oceanic PX2

If you open it up, please post a picture of the turret bolt (retainer.) I have a couple of odd ball retainers that I'm trying to place. If one of them matches yours and you want it, consider it your's for the cost of shipping.

BTW I think Frogkick has the manual for the PX2.

Couv

very generous, thank you! I will open it asap just to see what it is!

I am not familiar with the early model of the PX-2, but the later model uses a completely different seat retainer and HP seat than the MK5 or Pre-95 Oceanic. The photo below shows what I believe to be the Pre-95 Oceanic seat and retainer on the left and the PX-2 on the right. I may have misidentified the Pre-95 regulator but I have PX-2 rebuild kits and they definitely use the seat on the right. In addition the PX-2 uses bushings in a similar fashion to the MK 20/25 for the body piston O-ring.

View attachment 211693

appears to be identical to the one on the left (apologies if the photo is large, came from iPad)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 88
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom