Which mask for warm water reef diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I plan on only doing warm water reef diving and am doing more research on masks.

I guess I would prefer a clear mask to a black mask because it lets in way more light, but do the clear masks discolor still these days?

I've also noticed the tear drop style double panes would be what I would prefer since they give you the largest viewing area.

But what about single pane masks, wouldnt these allow you to have the most viability? Whats the benefits from going with a 2 pane mask vs a large 1 pane?

Also I was reading where it was suggested to have a purple coating on the mask to make it more clear, especially if I'm reef diving?

What companies make masks with this special coating to enhance the viewing?

Also, are side windows a large benefit when reef diving?

Also looking for a mask with good buckles for the straps.

And someone even mentioned cyberskin?

I googled cyberskin and found a dildo.
Well you're the scientist?

I googled cyberskin and found a dildo.
Well you're the scientist?

haha no no, thats not what I had in mind! lol

I dont know I'm just sorting through the few things I've read over the last several days and trying to make sense of whats what.

Any idea on the masks with the coating to enhance colors with clairity & such to make colors brighter?

Yes I've seen that one and actually quite impressed by it overall. Looks, build materials & I'm sure the quality is there.

But are there other masks out there with a lens coating to help improve vision? I could have sworn Ive seen others, but cant find any now?

Anyone ever use the Atomic mask?

Anyone else have any more info or experience with these lens that are coated for more clarity?

The only thing that worries me with the atomic arc subframe is that the buckles are attached to the skirt and notthe frame so it can rip off easier than others it seems.

Would they really help the quality of reef diving?

Any other companies offer this coating?

What about the big single pane masks vs double windows?

I can highly recommend the Atomic masks ($ 100 ) and the Apollo Bio Metal Masks ($ 120). I used to dive 'clear' skirted masks but have switched to 'black' skirted ones as the clear ones always deteriorate into an ugly dingy yellow color and I found that the black ones really didn't limit my visibility like I'd assumed they would, which was why I dove the clear ones for so long.

Anyone ever use the Atomic mask?

Me. The Atomic Sub-Frame ARC is my primary. I also have an Atomic Sub-Frame without ARC as my secondary, so I could compare the two.

Frankly, I don't notice a lot of difference between them both in daylight or darkness. But I don't spend a lot of time on a dive analyzing how well I can see because I can see very well so it's just not an issue.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the Sub-Frame, ARC or no ARC. Both my wife and son use the Atomic Frameless in the narrow size. As is true with all products Atomic, these masks are well-made and well-designed. I did notice a difference in favor of the clear glass of the Atomic over the green tinted glass of an AquaLung mask I used to use, although it's fairly subtle.

We all use black skirts as we think they look better. As noted above, clear skirts will get discolored after a while. It's a personal choice that's no big deal. I haven't found that black skirts make much difference in terms of vision, but I've read that some divers think they're better for photography as they'll block out peripheral light.

I'm at the office, so I don't have access to my masks as I type, but my memory is that the buckles are attached to the frame not the skirt. In any case, I've never had any issues with the buckles.

As you probably know, the three most important factors when it comes to your mask are fit, fit and fit. After that, it boils down to a personal choice of what style you prefer. I don't know that there's a "super mask" for warm water reef diving that will provide a truly superior experience to all other masks on the market. But I think that if you're able to get a good fit with an Atomic mask you'll be very happy with it. For what it's worth, warm water reef diving makes up the vast majority of my dives.

Btw, lots of scrubbing's required when new to get rid of the film on the lenses.

I guess I would prefer a clear mask to a black mask because it lets in way more light, but do the clear masks discolor still these days?
What I notice with my clear skirt is that extra light, when it come from behind you, reflects off the lens and back to your eyes so you are distracted by the reflection. Next mask I get will be a black skirt. The clear skirts still do discolor so eventually it will turn to a lovely shade of brownish.

But what about single pane masks, wouldnt these allow you to have the most viability? Whats the benefits from going with a 2 pane mask vs a large 1 pane?
Not really because with many 2 pane masks (low volume) they are closer to your face so you don't notice the frame as much. The single pane masks tend to be a higher volume because they stick out further from your face. Note that some people can't wear a low volume mask because of the shape of their face.

Also I was reading where it was suggested to have a purple coating on the mask to make it more clear, especially if I'm reef diving?
The reason they color the lens is because reds and yellows are the first colors in the spectrum that we lose while diving. The coloring they add (usually some type of red) is to counter that effect. I don't have this type of lens so I don't know if they actually make things clearer but they put color back into things so the contrast should be better.

Also, are side windows a large benefit when reef diving?
Not really, if you have a large profile mask then having side panes improves peripheral vision. With a low profile mask, since the mask is closer to your face you don't need the side panes.

Hope this helps :D

A mask is only good if it fits. Go to several shops and try on masks. Gently press on face. If it forms a suction it may fit. Try out in pool first in case need to return. Compare masks for field of view, comfort, and optical clarity. Determine if prefer single lens or multi by looking through mask.

I use TruVu Rayblocker. Excellent discrimination of quarry in limited visibilty and great for surface swims in the bright California sunshine.

http://www.seadiveinc.com/X-FreePS.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom