Which mask for warm water reef diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both the Atomic sub frame and frameless in black for warm water. Low volume, good field of view, no low volume fogging issues in the warm water, no light reflection issues. I can't use either of these in cold water dives (40*-50*f) as they fog no matter what i do, due to how close they are to the heat coming from my face. My cold water dives are done with a larger volume clear skirt mask becuase the viz is typically pretty poor as well.
Check with some of the tests like scuba labs, etc., and they typically give you the actually measured field of view (in degrees) with the mask. You really won't find side windows in a low volume mask as there just isn't any room for them. I've had side windows in my primary cold water mask but other then letting light in you can't really see out of them any way. Pay the money for a quality mask and you probably can't go wrong, as long as it fits your shape of face. I just returned an apollo bio metel because it wouldn't fit and would not seal on my face. Good luck.

Lots of good info, thanks everyone.

I realize that the final test is to try it on for yourself. I'll have to wait to see if I prefer single pane to double.

If I do pick double I'll be going with the tear drop feature like the Atomic subframe ARC.

I do like Atomic products and I really like the overall look of the Atomic arc mask.

Is the skirt as soft and as comfortable as they say about their soft skirts?

Are there any other companies out there that offer a coating on their lens to help quality? Or is Atomic pretty much it for high quality lens coatings?

I would have really preferred the clear mask. It sucks they are still discoloring these days. I can't beleive a chemist hasn't figured out how to stop that yet.

I thought that Atomic uses a new kind of material on their Subframe ARCs that the composition where it might not discolor?

How pong does it take a clear mask to discolor and is there any way to prevent it from doing so?

I'm only going to be a warm water reef diver a few times a year if I'm lucky for recreation....

clear masks inevitably discolor...the more they are used (exposed to UV sunlight/ozone/heat/chemicals/etc.) the faster it will happen, but it's a matter of when, not if. My Atomic mask is black, so I can't say the Atomic clear one is any more resistant/immune to discoloration than any other brand....I highly doubt it's immune, but maybe somewhat more resistant, but I really don't know that from personal experience.

Are there any other companies out there that offer a coating on their lens to help quality?
Seavision - Mask Selection
How long does it take a clear mask to discolor and is there any way to prevent it from doing so?
This is a 4 year old Tusa. It's still soft enough that I can hold it on my face with just a slight inhale. Don't store it touching any black rubber/neoprene gear.

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 49
Seavision - Mask Selection
This is a 4 year old Tusa. It's still soft enough that I can hold it on my face with just a slight inhale. Don't store it touching any black rubber/neoprene gear.

I'm not familiar with seavision, how do they compare in quality to Atomic?

As much as I want clear, I may end up going with black. Do you need to take the same steps of not letting it touch neoprene or rubber? Do the black skirts get hard like the clear ones do?

the good news about black masks is that you'll either lose it, break it, or have it stolen before it wears out anyway.

Just rinse the mask with warm fresh water after use and store dry in the plastic case or container. Do not get hung up on any brand or style until you get to a few shops and see which mask actually works the best for your face and diving conditions.

I'm not familiar with seavision, how do they compare in quality to Atomic?
no idea...

As much as I want clear, I may end up going with black. Do you need to take the same steps of not letting it touch neoprene or rubber? Do the black skirts get hard like the clear ones do?
You don't store black gear against silicone gear as it will discolor it over time. The only black mask I've ever owned was in the 80's and it ripped before it got hard.

Listen to cmburch and the others - go for fit not manufacturer. A leaking mask is really, really annoying while diving.

Yeah I realize you've got to try it in person before you buy to make sure it fits, but I really want to get one with the purple coating to help the colors on reefs pop more. I hope the Atomic fits as I like the company, quality and the mask itself.

disregard, I found some photos of people w/colored lens masks u/w...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom