Which Knot for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little bowline (about the size of a nickel) on top of a BIG bowline.

The objective is to hook your double-ender to the little bowline, use the weight of it to pass it through the SMB's d-ring, then run the spool through the big bowline to cinch it down.

Jim, your fourth picture is a problem waiting to happen. By having the snap on the clip facing the way it is, it is too easy to move the whole clip and have the snap undo itself. Two solutions: (1) face the snap the other way; or (2) put the end-loop on the line through one of the holes in the side plate of the spool, and snap the clip through the end of the loop, not through the side of the spool.

Just adding, that tiny loop at the end of the big loop on the photo above is to make it easier for you to loosen the reel when wearing glove.

I find the little loop on the end keeps my spool from unraveling in my pocket. I keep my spool rigged to my SMB, and prior to using the end loop I would often find loose line in my pocket. Started using the end loop to clip to and the line coming loose is all but gone.

On my 400ft reel I just use a plastic marble of sorts bought from my local fabric store to help disconnect from the anchor rode, rocks, kelp, or whatever I choose to tie off to. A drill easily put a hole in the plastic marble.

Not as robust as the loop and knot that Devon showed you, but I tend to use the double ended bolt snap that I keep attached to my SMB. One end though the loop at the end of my spool, the other connects to my SMB. Theoretically weaker, but so far, so good in terms of my experiences.

I just find its quicker than pfaffing with trying to pass the reel through a loop of line under water, while holding the SMB with cold water gloves.

If I was being picky (which I'm not...) Rather than an over hand loop knot, I'd suggest a figure of 8 at the end of the loop - it's what we use in climbing to create the loop on your safety rope. I personally use this and attach my reel line to my smb with a small screw gate SS Carabina, although you could use this loop as Devon suggests

Tying a figure of 8 knot and the difference between it and an overhand Knot

[video=youtube;z3XhyCBSu6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XhyCBSu6Q[/video]

Jim, your fourth picture is a problem waiting to happen. By having the snap on the clip facing the way it is, it is too easy to move the whole clip and have the snap undo itself. Two solutions: (1) face the snap the other way; or (2) put the end-loop on the line through one of the holes in the side plate of the spool, and snap the clip through the end of the loop, not through the side of the spool.

That is not one of my personal spools. That is one I have for sale. Just have the Delrin stop and double ender on there for display. Personally mine are set up according to your recommendation number (1)

---------- Post added December 21st, 2013 at 05:12 PM ----------

Hey Jim, who makes those reels? They look well made.

Those are from Manta. I am also a dealer for them and can get them in. The small one is the Nano, the medium one the Nano Plus, and the large one is the CR1. I also have the new HOG reels in 200 (in stock), 400, and 800 (in stock).

+1 Loop knot. I make my loops at least as wide as my spread hand is, because they always seem to be smaller in the water...

Attachments

• IMG_6113.jpg
    IMG_6113.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 211
It's pretty good when needing to remove a primary tie-off from around rusty metal too... :wink:

And when putting a loop around something covered in zebra mussels.

...//... On my 400ft reel I just use a plastic marble of sorts bought from my local fabric store to help disconnect from the anchor rode, rocks, kelp, or whatever I choose to tie off to. A drill easily put a hole in the plastic marble.

Borrowed same idea from cave divers. I think that they call them "toys". Made something that works with coldwater gloves, repurposed my cave reel, refilled with #48 braided nylon (knotted depth markers), now part of my upline.

(this post slightly off-topic, a double-ender would be better for a finger spool)

Attachments

• toy.jpg
    toy.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 165
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom