Which Knot for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azhar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I need some help regarding which knot to use while rigging my SMB? I m using XS scuba SMB with finger spool.

Regard's

For anything in life relating to knots: if in doubt, use a bowline.

For anything in life relating to knots: if in doubt, use a bowline.

Yup. A bowline on both ends. But there are a few different places on a SMB line that you might want a knot. An overhand loop knot is a consideration if you are using some kind of clip device on the SMB. They are harder to untie than a bowline, but offer a slight upgrade in security- probably a non-issue.

I have made a simple in-line figure eight knot, tied at 17' for "hanging out".

I use an overhand loop knot - large enough to put my spool through. Easy attach/detach if need be. Normally its just attached to the smb tho..

Put a loop in the end of your line (overhand loop knot) - allow an generous loop.

Run the line through the attachment point on the DSMB.

Run the spool through the loop (see pic below).

No knots required to directly connect the DSMB and spool - spool can be easily detached/replaced and used for other functions.

324417.png

+1 for the overhand loop knot big enough for the reel. Nice touch with the little knot. I don't wear gloves, but still.

I use these on my spools and reels. Cold hands, heavy gloves, don't want to try to pick at string? No problem. 100_0648.jpg100_0650.jpgreel stops.jpgreel stop closeup.jpg

I waterjetted these from 1/2 inch white Delrin, Better than plastic and they fit through the d ring on the SMB easily. I also sell em and include one with every spool I sell

Back
Top Bottom