Which fins are you kickin’ with and what’s on the horizon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norboo

Registered
Reaction score
Which fins are you currently using?
Pros:
Cons:
Comments:

Which fins are you thinking about or will purchase in the near future if any?
Pros:
Cons:
Comments:

I'm currently using two, depending on wether I'm diving wet or dry. I have no plans to use anything else in the future.

ScubaPro XXL Jet Fins
Pros: Big enough to fit over my vulcanized drysuit boots, slightly negative bouyancy helps with trim, very efficient propulsion, well suited for a variety of different kicks.
Cons: The foot pockets are big enough to park a small car in, so I might have to switch down to XL when I change boots.
Comments: Fantastic! I have trouble imagining a better fin.

Mares Plana Avanti XL
Pros: Tons of propulsion power... you can go like a rocket, adequate for wide variety of kicks, very comfortable
Cons: Almost too much power... if I had weaker legs I might be less fond of them
Comments: I put spring straps on them, and have been very happy with these fins. I haven't tried the AvantiTre or Avanti Quattros, but they claim to be an improvement.

ScubaPro XL Jet Fins (not splits)

Pros: Big enough to fit over my vulcanized drysuit boots, slightly negative bouyancy helps with trim, very efficient propulsion, well suited for a variety of different kicks, nicely small and compact so not cumbersome, fits into my carry-on luggage for travel.

Cons: I knocked a fin off once, during a roll entry from a boat, and it met me at the bottom, way way down there, which is the downside to a neg buoyant fin. Also hard to keep up with divers weating Quattros however, underwater or on the surface.

Comments: I am totally happy with them.

Next set of fins:

If not the very same, then possibly Turtle Fins.

Which fins are you currently using? Scubapro Lightning Jet Fins
Pros: Excellent control, excellent power, last forever, not expensive
Cons: None
Comments: The perfect fin.

Which fins are you thinking about or will purchase in the near future if any? I already have the perfect fins

I have two sets depending on whether I am diving dry or not...

Which fins are you currently using? Scubapro Jet Fins L and XL
Pros: Great propulsion, smaller blade, well suited for all kicks.
Cons: Suction from no drainage holes can *sometimes* make taking them off tough.
Comments: Fantastic fins made better with spring straps!

Which fins are you thinking about or will purchase in the near future if any? NONE. :)

But when you beach dive, the fins carry enough water to wash the sand off your feet.

Which fins are you currently using? Turtles w/Spring Straps
Pros: Excellent control, excellent power, last forever, not expensive, are the correct color
Cons: None
Comments: My perfect fin.

My search is over. Next question, please....

K

PS: Whereas Walter can wash the sand off he bad self after a dive with the footpocket water of his perfect fins, wif my Turtles I have enough footpocket water to dunk my gear. :wink:

Mo2vation:
I have enough footpocket water to dunk my gear. :wink:

Turtles are big, but the XXL jetfin pockets carry so much water I can suit up and dive in them. :eyebrow:

Which fins are you currently using? Mares Volos
Pros: SO easy on my legs, great manueverability, no kicking up lots of silt, look awesome.
Cons: Suction in non-draining foot pockets can make removal a pain. Lock straps do make sure fins won't come off feet... EVER! Unfortunately, well made enough that I couldn't get seal-tooth imprints... not sure if that's what most people would consider a "con".
Comments: Love these fins. Got my dream fins as a present from dad after the Plana Avantis were giving me leg cramps (too much fin for my girlie legs, apparently).

Which fins are you thinking about or will purchase in the near future if any?

None!! I love my Volos!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom