Question travel muck divers - what fins do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've been known to ward off other snorkelers/swimmers getting too close to turtles in HI :oops: my family calls me the turtle protector. i feel the same about the little stuff, it's their home and I don't want to disturb the critters.

appreciate everyone's feedback. i have a few short trips between now and when we go, i'll dedicate some time to practice backing up. i've brought the fins to my swim team workouts, but it hasn't translated well in past, so will do more while diving.

thanks again - so much little stuff i can't wait to see! Leaf Sheep 🐑 is at top of my list

I've used Mares Quattros in the past but changed many years ago to Hollis F2s to save weight when travelling and continued to use them for diving locally.

First and foremost as @Kimela mentions above b careful with your kicking when leaving the area where you were observing a critter, especially if there are photographers around. Even a kick from two meters above the bottom can cause silting.

I had several issues last September with other divers poor situational awareness resulting in me using my muck stick aggressively to keep other divers' fins from destroying the area around my photographic subjects.

One key bit of advice though, make sure you have decent soled boots for dealing with the rocky entry / exits at most dive sites. Personally I use rock boots.
thanks - i'll keep the F2s in mind, they were ones i've seen. i do have boots i use in Monterey Bay area diving, not technically rock, but I believe they will work for me, thanks again

I find Go Sport excellent in muck. They are a bit negative, and a little shorter than many, so it’s easy to keep off the bottom. Acceleration is good, they pack wel, and are surprisingly light. I spent a week in Tulamben in the fall and had a good many dives with moderate-to-honking current and never felt underpowered. I do think they are a little bendy in current, and am headed out this week with Gorillas.

Here’s a quick intro to muck from Lembeh that’s pretty informative:

I’ve done muck dives in all types of fins, but I’d stay away from heavy fins unless you really need weight there. You’re better off with light legs than heavy. If there is a fin you like for back kicks, that’s a good choice.

Muck sticks are useful too. The linked video shows how to use them to avoid silting or touching larger objects.

Have fun with it, it can be addictive. 🙃

Lance

i've been known to ward off other snorkelers/swimmers getting too close to turtles in HI :oops: my family calls me the turtle protector. i feel the same about the little stuff, it's their home and I don't want to disturb the critters.

appreciate everyone's feedback. i have a few short trips between now and when we go, i'll dedicate some time to practice backing up. i've brought the fins to my swim team workouts, but it hasn't translated well in past, so will do more while diving.

thanks again - so much little stuff i can't wait to see! Leaf Sheep 🐑 is at top of my list
IMG_1962.jpg

This was my first - and only - sheep shooting experience (Puerto Galera, a couple weeks ago). The dive guide took my TG6 away from me, changed my settings, pointed to the nudi to take pics. I don't know HOW he saw it. Those things are so itty bitty. Not a great pic, but I was still 'stupid proud' of it!! Hoping you can see it on this next pic. That's my fingertip on the left, and the little grouping of white dots at the edge on the right is the nudi. I hope you find one or more to get shots of them. It was such a cool experience just to SEE it!
IMG_1958.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 15
View attachment 836761
This was my first - and only - sheep shooting experience (Puerto Galera, a couple weeks ago). The dive guide took my TG6 away from me, changed my settings, pointed to the nudi to take pics. I don't know HOW he saw it. Those things are so itty bitty. Not a great pic, but I was still 'stupid proud' of it!! Hoping you can see it on this next pic. That's my fingertip on the left, and the little grouping of white dots at the edge on the right is the nudi. I hope you find one or more to get shots of them. It was such a cool experience just to SEE it!
View attachment 836763
I love it! You should be proud. I plan to rely on the local guides to spot critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom