Which drygloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used or played with the DC, Sitek and Viking systems, and I much prefer the Viking bayonet rings. They are easily installed on the seal, without tools, and equally easily removed. Changing gloves is equally simple and can be done in the field, if you have spare gloves with you. You can use the Atlas gloves, which are inexpensive and for me, locally available. The things are bulky, but I haven't seen a system where the rings are really any less so, except the ones where the gloves have the seal on them, and those are reportedly a PITA to get on by yourself (not to mention that the gloves are expensive!)

No ring system is really going to make the arms of the dry suit any longer, but if you pull your seals a bit up your wrist, you can use the glove length to compensate for the increased distance from seal to fingertip.

I followed Lynne's suggestions and got the Viking bayonet rings. I am very, very happy with them and always chuckle when people 'fight' on a boat with their Dive Concept (DC) or Si-Tech rings.

The advantage of the Vikings is IMO that you use the thumb and index finger of the other hand to turn the rings against each other for locking. On other systems you have to push or turn the glove ring against the floppy sleeve of the suit; that's where you then see people sticking their arm between the legs, etc. to get something to turn/push against. DC are also more painful when it comes to changing gloves.

One way to make the sleeves of a suit longer is to add rings in front (towards the hand) of zip seals. Most people have to shorten the arms if they add rings in front of zip seals to avoid the ring riding on the knuckles.

Last edited:
I have the Si-Tech quick Glove locks and like them Were very easy to install and uninstall and you can dive with or without the drygloves. I have about 15dives with my drygloves so far no issue's.

Si Tech Glove Lock Dry Glove System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I have these but I can't seem to get the rings formed into the wrist seals no matter what I do or which size I try. Looks so easy in the video's and I've discussed with DiveRightIn - still no luck. I've given up for this season. I'm getting used to dealing with cold hands in wet gloves down to about 35 degrees but for no longer than 45 minutes. Ache becomes distracting.

Maybe when my seals are ready for replacement I'll just force the issue - maybe I'm being too "dainty" now.

I have these but I can't seem to get the rings formed into the wrist seals no matter what I do or which size I try. Looks so easy in the video's and I've discussed with DiveRightIn - still no luck. I've given up for this season. I'm getting used to dealing with cold hands in wet gloves down to about 35 degrees but for no longer than 45 minutes. Ache becomes distracting.

Maybe when my seals are ready for replacement I'll just force the issue - maybe I'm being too "dainty" now.

If i recall correctly, the Si-Tech uses the same idea as the Vikings: An inner ring to push and lock the Latex seal (or suit material) against the outer ring, which serves as the interface to the glove ring.

I fussed with this for a while myself and did not get it to stay in place securely; it would sometimes come apart when pulling the hands back through the wrist seal. I also did not like the fact that the connection between the suit and everything else that keeps water out is Latex which deteriorates over time and sometimes fails rather dramatically. (The cf200 material of my suit is too thick to wedge it between the inner and outer rings)

In the end, I cut the latex seal off the suit, glued the suit permanently onto the Viking rings and sometimes install the cut-off latex seal as a backup wrist seal. Silicone wrist seals will also work with this method.

Last edited:
If your ever up in my area or go to DutchSprings bring them along I would be more than happy to help, I am not a professional nor do I work for a scuba shop, I have 2 drysuits to put these on and at first it was a little bit of a Pita becuase the inner ring wanted to keep moving, actaully did this to me on both the suit and glove but once it's there it's good, I actually just re-installed them on my G/F suit and went together much easier than I rememberd.

Also make sure your using the correct size rings. I use the meduim and soft gloves and used the Yellow rings for the glove, not sure I would to look to see which ones I used for the suit, But I think it blue ones.

Both ring systems are basically the same in that they have an inner ring and an outer unit (the actualy connection). IIRC they also both come with different sized inner rings so I am guessing that one of the other sized inner rings would likely have solved your problem (i.e. larger OD on the inner ring therefore making a tighter squeeze on the latex). I have had both and both ring systems work fine. Unless the latex used on your drysuit type is drastically thinner than other drysuits, I would think there is a solution that will get your hands dry and warmer. I would recommend starting out by talking to the place that sold you the system and ask where the rest of the inner rings are. They likely have a drawer full of them but only they will know for sure.

I tried all 4 inner rings provided with the kit. While I got it to work, it did not give me the warm and fuzzy feeling of being very reliable in the long run; especially since the rings would only fit on the latex due to the thickness of the cf200 suit material. Latex was probably invented by Mr. Murphy. I has a habit of failing at the worst time - without prior warning.

OTOH, aquaseal between the suit and the rings is not going to fail in my lifetime. The disadvantage is that I am 'stuck' with the rings for the same period of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom