Which computer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have done some looking at some computers now...I just can't decide between the suunto gecko, suunto mosquito, oceanic geo, oceanic atom 2.0....I have heard all great reviews for all but wanted to hear from y'all...Maybe I could get a few pointers.:D...Thanks

Kyle

I have a Gekko and am happy with it. They are very popular. Easy to use, and a lot of features for the price.

So I have done some looking at some computers now...I just can't decide between the suunto gecko, suunto mosquito, oceanic geo, oceanic atom 2.0....I have heard all great reviews for all but wanted to hear from y'all...Maybe I could get a few pointers.:D...Thanks

Kyle

not to get you more confused but don't reject the (Oceanic)VEO 180NX or the 250 NX off a list...................GEAUX TIGERS.....................

I just bought the VYTEC after much research

kinda depends on what type of diving you do..for he purpose of this thread Ill assume standard open water...I own the mosquito which is exactely the same as the stinger but in a plastic case with plastic lense, its a good computer for what I use it for (OW) never had any problems, you can change the battery yourself (not so with Stinger) a word of warning you should get a lense protector as the lense scratches very easily...the Gekko is a great computer seemingly bomb proof I have friends who use this, very easy to read very simple to use, although it can be wrist mounted it is larger than a wrist watch type comp eg the mosquito, the Gekko can also be console mounted, the battery can also be changed by the user, be aware it has no backlight so night diving youll need to use a torch to read it. I would recommend the Gekko over the mosquito, easier to read easier to use. The oceanic atom 2.0 is the same as the Aeris epic both rated highly by ScubaDiving Magazine, (although the Aeris higher than the Oceanic, not sure why coz they are the same computor with minor cosmetic diffs) they are way more expensive than the mosquito or Gekko (Gekko is the cheapest) but have the capacity for many diff types of diving, the face is mineral crystal so should be harder to scratch and are also user battery replaceable. They are also AI ( air intergrated) with the oceanic I believe its an option but with the Aeris I thinks it comes as a package uping the price from around $600 to almost $1000, you may be able to find cheaper, im not sure. And as Diver 85 has said the Veos are supposed to be pretty good too, cheap and simple although I have no first hand knowledge...think about what diving you currently do, what diving you may do in the future, if you dont need a million functions dont by a super flash expensive comp as its a waste get what you need with fucntions YOU WILL USE...good luck...hope this helps...there is alot of info and reviews on the net about dive computers, look for reviews on the items youre intersted it and you should be good....

Now I have gotten a little confused with all the functions of the gecko..When it says that it gives you a countdown time based on nitrogen absortion and other various things..Will you need a transmitter for this feauture? I really do not want to buy one. But if the dive computer is useless without one..

I think I have narrowed my options down to the gecko and the Oceanic geo..I think the geo may have a little more feautures though..

One more question..I also want to wear this watch during the day..So when you have the lens proctector on, can you still tell time?

Now I have gotten a little confused with all the functions of the gecko..When it says that it gives you a countdown time based on nitrogen absortion and other various things..Will you need a transmitter for this feauture? I really do not want to buy one. But if the dive computer is useless without one...

You only need an transmitter to get air remaining information to the computer...the countdown I assume you mean the time to fly on an airplane countdown which is based on your previous dives and a transmitter is not needed.

One more question..I also want to wear this watch during the day..So when you have the lens proctector on, can you still tell time?

The Geo is a watch style dive computer but the Gecko is not...much too large to wear everyday. All lens protectors are clear so that you can see the display at all times.

Hope this helps.

-J.-

I just used a Vyper for two days for my AOW because I'm still trying to choose my gear. I won't choose a Vyper personally for a couple reasons.

Pros:
*Big face, pretty easy to see underwater
*Easy to use even if you've never used a dive computer before
* Simple, automatic safety stop countdown
*Conservative

Cons:
*Face scratches easily which really affects above water usability, underwater a bit less of an issue
*HATED the band, it didn't fit right either too tight or too loose
*Strap was very very long and there was no ability to tuck it into anything to keep 6" of band from flapping all over the place - this really annoyed me because I was always messing with it. I don't want my focus to be on the computer band under water, I want it to be on key gear and aquatic life!
*Very big - I think I'd prefer something I could wear as a watch as well rather than the big puck
* Conservative - this is both a pro and a con depending on your viewpoint.

While this pertains to the Vyper I'm thinking a couple points would also apply to the gecko & mosquito.

What i meant by the countdown was.. It says that it gives you a time almost like a countdown in minutes of your dive time remaining..Then it said that it was based on oxygen abosrtion and nitrogen and etc..So do you need a transmitter for this?

What i meant by the countdown was.. It says that it gives you a time almost like a countdown in minutes of your dive time remaining..Then it said that it was based on oxygen abosrtion and nitrogen and etc..So do you need a transmitter for this?

No no transmitter needed, it simply calculates your nitrogen absorption, then gives a calculated dount down at your current depth, if you go shallower, it recalculates and gives a new bottom time. It also counts down time on your safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom