Atomic Cobalt Trade-In Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. This makes more sense. However, you indicated that you bought it in 2019. Deep stops were largely out of favor by that time, so this isn't something new.
When I bought it, deep stop debate was quite advanced, yes. And I had a track of satisfying, hassle free support on the Cobalt 1, and the habit of seeing regular firmware updates with feature additions. I had more recently a hint that, had Huish maintained a <<more decent>> level of maintenance on the product, an update to make deep stops optional would have likely been released.
A trade-in program is exceptional. If a company offers it, I consider that a perk, but wouldn't expect it at all. Additionally, there are countless differences in policies based on the country of residence. In many cases, that is driven by regulations, and for the most part EU heavily favors the consumer as compared to the US. I don't believe the EU addresses trade-in programs, which supports that it is rather exceptional.
Scubapro trade-in program for the Seabear seemed to not raise a tremendous surprise and praises for the generosity. Nor EU legal complications w.r.t to customer or competition protection.
I have used the trade-in program when it was offered by Oceanic pre-Huish. I was actually surprised they offered it at all post-Huish. I've got gear from other companies as well, and to my knowledge they don't offer a trade-in.
Sure. I would not trade-in my original Hollis M1, or even get refund for mint price. :cool:

When I bought it, deep stop debate was quite advanced, yes. And I had a track of satisfying, hassle free support on the Cobalt 1, and the habit of seeing regular firmware updates with feature additions. I had more recently a hint that, had Huish maintained a <<more decent>> level of maintenance on the product, an update to make deep stops optional would have likely been released.

Scubapro trade-in program for the Seabear seemed to not raise a tremendous surprise and praises for the generosity. Nor EU legal complications w.r.t to customer or competition protection.

Sure. I would not trade-in my original Hollis M1, or even get refund for mint price. :cool:
I understand your frustration, and when it comes to support and further development being dropped for the Cobalt, we share it in spades.
On dives with a max depth of over 150' / 45M the Cobalt has fully switched to "iterative" RGBM, which will give a series of short stops starting at ± half of max depth. That was defined by the algorithm Atomic chose for us to implement.
If you can wait a bit, we're working to put together a new computer configuration that we hope to offer to Cobalt users as an "upgrade"- essentially recycling your HP connection but replacing the main PCB, screen, and case. While we will still include RGBM, we have implemented Buhlmann alongside, with the ability to switch between algorithms on the fly. As an independent effort, I don't want to promise anything, but we're very aware of the many Cobalt users who may have interest in an updated version, and we're working with some types of manufacturing that should allow us to do this even at small volumes. You sound as if you would be our ideal intended market.
Keep in touch, and we will be making any announcements via our ScubaBoard page, Ocean Concepts

Ron

I understand your frustration, and when it comes to support and further development being dropped for the Cobalt, we share it in spades.
On dives with a max depth of over 150' / 45M the Cobalt has fully switched to "iterative" RGBM, which will give a series of short stops starting at ± half of max depth. That was defined by the algorithm Atomic chose for us to implement.
If you can wait a bit, we're working to put together a new computer configuration that we hope to offer to Cobalt users as an "upgrade"- essentially recycling your HP connection but replacing the main PCB, screen, and case. While we will still include RGBM, we have implemented Buhlmann alongside, with the ability to switch between algorithms on the fly. As an independent effort, I don't want to promise anything, but we're very aware of the many Cobalt users who may have interest in an updated version, and we're working with some types of manufacturing that should allow us to do this even at small volumes. You sound as if you would be our ideal intended market.
Keep in touch, and we will be making any announcements via our ScubaBoard page, Ocean Concepts

Ron
Hey there- this is REALLY interesting and a bit tantalizing. I’d bet the timeline on this is still pretty far out? I have a pair of cobalt 1, one in good shape but one with “sensor error”, not reading depth. Just learned about the trade in program, but like many, not terribly excited about the options (which aren’t even in stock, it seems). I’ll need a new computer by November, unless I rent for that trip, I suppose. Shearwater is tempting, but I’d love to know more about what you are cooking up!

I went with a Petral 3 from Shearwater. It was slightly more money than the Perdix but has a better display. The Teric was nice but I wouldn't wear it much as a watch. Why the Perdix doesn't use the same display technology as the Teric and the Petral is pure genius or stupidity. I can't tell.

I got the Oceanic ProPlus 4.0 on the exchange program and I have it up for consignment at my local dive shop. There are no takers yet, but I hope the right person will pick it up. I can then use the proceeds to pay off all the other dive gear I want :)

It came in relatively quickly and I did mine through the shop directly. But none of the options came close tot he Cobalt, in my opinion.

Hey there- this is REALLY interesting and a bit tantalizing. I’d bet the timeline on this is still pretty far out? I have a pair of cobalt 1, one in good shape but one with “sensor error”, not reading depth. Just learned about the trade in program, but like many, not terribly excited about the options (which aren’t even in stock, it seems). I’ll need a new computer by November, unless I rent for that trip, I suppose. Shearwater is tempting, but I’d love to know more about what you are cooking up!
I'll send you a direct message about some options for restoring/ upgrading your Cobalt 1 with the sensor error. Our next generation development (wrist and console) is something we're excited about, but I can't guarantee any timeline. We have nothing but good things to say about Shearwater.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom