Atomic Cobalt Trade-In Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver.Jason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased an original Atomics Cobalt back in 2011. I found out that it is no longer serviceable and Atomics now considers it "obsolete." They have a discounted replacement program for the device. I was a bit disappointed to hear, but glad there is something in place to recover something from my previous investment. Has anyone else completed the trade-in process? They told me the following choices for replacement:
  • Oceanic ProPlus 4.0 w/QD and Compass
  • Oceanic GEO Air w/ Transmitter
  • Suunto Eon Core
  • Suunto Eon Core w/ Tank Pod
  • Suunto D5
  • Suunto D5 w/ Tank Pod
Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

I would prefer to have a Shearwater so I am wondering if I can complete the trade-in and then work something out with my dive shop or sell it to a private party. I am guessing from the list the Suunto D5 w/ Tank Pod would be the more popular route.

Thanks for any advice \ experience with this program

What is the discounted replacement value? Same amount for all of the computers? Or a percent off. If the same amount I would sell the computer for a percentage and let the the new owner deal with the replacement (if that is possible). If a percent off, similar but figure the value based on the smallest amount and further discount it.

You have cash and the new owner deals directly.

I worked with my shop and choose the Oceanic ProPlus 4.0 w/QD and Compass. He is going to put it on consignment and charge retail for it. He presently does not have a hosed computer in the shop, so if someone is in the market for one, they can consider it. I will get my money back for the replacement and should have enough to cover the Swift transmitter I am wanting. Was disappointed I didn't get the life I was expecting out of the Cobalt. But I didn't trust it enough to continue to dive with it or to give it to one of my sons.

I purchased an original Atomics Cobalt back in 2011. I found out that it is no longer serviceable and Atomics now considers it "obsolete." They have a discounted replacement program for the device. I was a bit disappointed to hear, but glad there is something in place to recover something from my previous investment. Has anyone else completed the trade-in process?
I did, but this was in the past and seems like the process ran a bit different then. When I did, I simply carried in my PP2 and purchased a VT4.1 w/Transmitter.
They told me the following choices for replacement:
  • Suunto Eon Core
  • Suunto D5
  • Suunto D5 w/ Tank Pod
Of those choices, I would drop anything from Suunto off the list. The Oceanics would be good choices and would depend on preferences primarily.
I would prefer to have a Shearwater so I am wondering if I can complete the trade-in and then work something out with my dive shop or sell it to a private party. I am guessing from the list the Suunto D5 w/ Tank Pod would be the more popular route.
Around here, Suunto would definitely not be the more popular route.

Based on your preference for a Shearwater, I'd say the Geo Air w/transmitter would be your best option. (I saw that you initiated with the ProPlus, but not sure if that's a done deal yet, or if you could switch.)

With the GeoAir, you'll be getting a transmitter that will work with the Shearwater you'll most likely end up with anyway, so that could save some money. You could use the Geo Air for now, or sell it and buy a Shearwater.

I purchased an original Atomics Cobalt back in 2011. I found out that it is no longer serviceable and Atomics now considers it "obsolete." They have a discounted replacement program for the device. I was a bit disappointed to hear, but glad there is something in place to recover something from my previous investment. Has anyone else completed the trade-in process? They told me the following choices for replacement:
  • Suunto Eon Core
  • Suunto D5
  • Suunto D5 w/ Tank Pod
Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks for any advice \ experience with this program

A note for those currently living outside the USA: the Huish trade-in program does not exist in EMEA. After a number of frustrating emails, it has become obvious to me that Huish, despite their firepower, has no capacity or inclination to take-back my Cobalt 2, which is in fine condition and bought in 2019.
There are simply no (zero) options offered by the representatives, both in US and Europe. Being left high and dry by Huish is an experience that this diver will not forget.
You can only guess now what my recommendation is w.r.t. Suunto and Oceanic: steal the transmitters or any of their gear from your LDS if you can, because they will steal from you and despise you anytime they can.

A note for those currently living outside the USA: the Huish trade-in program does not exist in EMEA. After a number of frustrating emails, it has become obvious to me that Huish, despite their firepower, has no capacity or inclination to take-back my Cobalt 2, which is in fine condition and bought in 2019.
I'm confused. If it's in fine condition, why do you want to trade it in?
There are simply no (zero) options offered by the representatives, both in US and Europe. Being left high and dry by Huish is an experience that this diver will not forget.
You can only guess now what my recommendation is w.r.t. Suunto and Oceanic: steal the transmitters or any of their gear from your LDS if you can, because they will steal from you and despise you anytime they can.
I think you might be overreacting a bit. A trade-in program is quite a bit different than asking for warranty service. I would also say it's not all that common. A dive shop may offer this from time to time, but I would say that most manufacturers don't. A quick search revealed that Aqualung may have a trade in program, and Scubapro offered in 2018.

A trade in program is a benefit, but I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to offer it.

I'm confused. If it's in fine condition, why do you want to trade it in?

I think you might be overreacting a bit. A trade-in program is quite a bit different than asking for warranty service. I would also say it's not all that common. A dive shop may offer this from time to time, but I would say that most manufacturers don't. A quick search revealed that Aqualung may have a trade in program, and Scubapro offered in 2018.

A trade in program is a benefit, but I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to offer it.

There is nothing confusing in my previous message about why I want to trade it in, I simply did no mention of my motivation. It has mostly to do with the impossibility to make the deep-stop optional. The Cobalt2 puts you in violation for skipping the 1mn deep (Pyle) 21 meter stop, which is contrary to latest deco publications/measures, and to the common practice among other DCs. There will be no firmware update by Huish, since they simply dropped support. So, even if the product is in fine material condition, it is in a deleterious condition, _as a direct consequence of the policy decided by Huish_ w.r.t. to Atomics Aquatics, and the consumers attached.

Over-reaction to having my pockets treated as their backyard ? Maybe. Please recall that a company is also a moral person, and that we are talking here about a large and healthy company, who has the means to back-up such executive decisions. When Scubapro bought out Seabear, they offered a generous compasation to the owners of H3 dive computers, even if old or in poor condition. So I do not see how a trade-in program is exceptional situation, some generous non-standard gesture, or why discriminating against non-US resident customers would be OK on any level. I must be the confused one after all.

NB: I am not expecting the manufacturer to offer it, I am expecting the company that has shut down manufacture and support to offer it. This is quite different from trading an old uwatec model for the latest fad. Support was not dropped after uwatec aquisition.

There is nothing confusing in my previous message about why I want to trade it in, I simply did no mention of my motivation
Hence the confusion.

It has mostly to do with the impossibility to make the deep-stop optional. The Cobalt2 puts you in violation for skipping the 1mn deep (Pyle) 21 meter stop, which is contrary to latest deco publications/measures, and to the common practice among other DCs. There will be no firmware update by Huish, since they simply dropped support. So, even if the product is in fine material condition, it is in a deleterious condition, _as a direct consequence of the policy decided by Huish_ w.r.t. to Atomics Aquatics, and the consumers attached.
OK. This makes more sense. However, you indicated that you bought it in 2019. Deep stops were largely out of favor by that time, so this isn't something new.
So I do not see how a trade-in program is exceptional situation, some generous non-standard gesture, or why discriminating against non-US resident customers would be OK on any level. I must be the confused one after all.
A trade-in program is exceptional. If a company offers it, I consider that a perk, but wouldn't expect it at all. Additionally, there are countless differences in policies based on the country of residence. In many cases, that is driven by regulations, and for the most part EU heavily favors the consumer as compared to the US. I don't believe the EU addresses trade-in programs, which supports that it is rather exceptional.

I have used the trade-in program when it was offered by Oceanic pre-Huish. I was actually surprised they offered it at all post-Huish. I've got gear from other companies as well, and to my knowledge they don't offer a trade-in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom