Which brand of steel cylinder / tank should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 1994, I sent one of my PST, 3000 psi tanks in for hydro and it failed. The tank was manufactured/stamped in 1977, used regularly by me but never rehydroed until that time in 1994. It had some rust inside when I brought it to the shop but had tumbled clean with no pits. After failure, the tank was sent to PST for eval. After a year, several inquiries, and no news about the tank, a request for action was sent by the dive shop to PST. The company said the tank had been "lost". They replaced it with a new PST 3500 psi tank.

So there are a zoo of tanks available. Since I'm considering doubles in the near future for GUE Tech 1, I need to play taxonomist and figure out the zoo.

Each species in this zoo has its own capacity, buoyancy characteristic, out-of-water weight, trim characteristic, etc. A Pressed Steel 104 is not a Faber 104. A high-pressure steel does not weigh the same as a low-pressure steel. This is all very confusing.

I need the following figures:

A) Gas capacity at normal working pressure
B) How much does it weight out of the water, full and empty?
C) How much negatively or positively buoyant is it in the water, full and empty?
D) How equally is the weight distributed longitudinally, for trim?

...for the following types of tanks:

1) Aluminum tanks of common sizes (80, 95, 104?)
2) Low-pressure steels of common sizes (80, 95, 104, 120), from various manufacturers, such as PST and Faber
3) High-pressure steels of common sizes (80, 95, 104, 120), from various manufacturers, such as PST and Faber

Is there a big table somewhere that will help me make sense of all this madness??

- Warren

Dive Training covered some of this information recently. Look in the issue that has the pretty sunset with a diver entering the water for a night dive.

If such a table get's developed, I want a copy.

there sure are alot of options, i wish i had gone with OMS 85's, those sure perfect for my application. But alas, i got OMS 112's, i would be much happier if i had got the 85's.

Really look at this closely, dont just settle, take your time and make the right choice. Dont be like me and get the wrong tanks.

TMD

Warren I know you just want to kill some time fiddling with tank tables...
But when you get ready to buy the things....
And it better be soon if you are planning on taking a GUE class....
Because you need to use them a bunch first...
Get the PST LP104s if you dive dry....
You dive dry...don't you???

UP,

Wet, still...

PST 104's with manifold... $800... two Apeks TX-100 regs... $600... DUI drysuit... $1500... ACK! I guess I'll go ahead and put my car on ebay.

- Warren

I like my PST95's for boat diving, but 104's are very common for drysuit divers. The 104's aren't too bad at $260ea, with a Sea Elite manifold for less than $200, and Highland Mills bands for $120ish.

Good luck.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom