Which atomic reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all. I have the opportunity to purchase gear from atomic at cost. Needless to say I plan on taking advantage of the opportunity as best I can and will get as much stuff as I can afford. 3 new regulators are on my wish list. The question is which on would you all recommend?

I currently dive with a B2 and love it, but I have always wondered about the higher end all titanium models. Who uses atomic and what model do you recommend? Also, I can order different models so a mix is okay.

Thanks in advance, John.

You can mix and match if you are able to source separately. I've only owned a Z2 so cannot speak categorically on the subject but apparently all Atomics breath the same. I believe it's the materials used and/or number of ports on the first stage that changes the price. The titanium T1/2/3 is not recommended for mixes above 40% due the combustion risk between high O2 and titanium.

B2 has brass 1st stage and titanium 2nd stage. If cost is not an issue, you will get titanium 1st stage with T3. IMO, titanium is more of a show case than practical advantage. You get a bit of weight saving, you can see my measurement here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/509919-weight-regulators.html

In term of corrosion resistance, if you don't have an issue with your B2, I doubt T3 will do anything for you at all. At the end, I think it really depends on how much money you want to spend. Best bang for the buck is the entry level Z2.

The only reason I'm considering an all titanium reg is because though I love my B2, after 5 or 6 years of being used and abused, the face of the yoke valve that seats against the o-ring has begun to chip. What it is, is the chrome plating is starting to chip away from the brass beneath. This causes a slight air leak.

I would assume the all titanium model would never have this issue.

Although I have a T2 and love it, if you're looking to save a little money an ST1 is all stainless - the first stage is solid and milled from 316 Stainless not plated. The corrosion resistance is almost as good as Titanium. And it has the comfort swivel on the 2nd stage. I almost bought one before I bought the T2. Since I always carry-on my regs I went with the slightly lighter option. Besides being all Ti, the strength of the metal allows for less material in the yoke.

Atomic is only selling the T2x or T3 now. The difference primarily is the 3rd year recommended service interval on the T3 and they PVD coat some of the exposed metal 2nd stage components. I'm not sure that was a good idea, I've seen a couple Scubapro's with that that are a couple years old and it scratches if dragged against something hard. Anything to justify the price difference I guess. Also you get a free reg bag with either "T" model.

Or there's the M1 which is all Monel so inert at higher gas mixtures but often considered more of a cave reg since it has a cave ring option. All milled from Monel so no chrome plating either.

But no 2nd stage swivel. Corrosion resistance almost as good as Ti also. It's also the only atomic wih a thermal heat sink for cold water use. Which may not be so important in FL...lol. It also has a wider exhaust port than the others but you can special order it and snap it on any of the other 2nds. I've personally never had an issue with the standard one. The 2nd stage purge cover design is supposed to be better in high-flow situations also.

I go for the cheapest Atomic octo - so the Z2. Mine is actually a Z1 since it's a carry-over from my last Atomic set.

hth,

I have used all of the Atomic regs except the ST1. They are all the same performance wise. IMHO the Ti reg is nice for traveling and does have a bit of a bling factor but to be honest I probably would not even pay key pricing for one. I bought all mine used and did some minor updates (monel piston, exhausts, purge cover). I like the retro Ti purge cover ring, I think Atomic said I bought the last of the T1x covers that go with it.

We use Z2s and M1s for our technical diving. The Z2 are really B2 first stages as we bought them with the swivel turret.

The ST1 would probably be the reg to get if you want corrosion resistance but at a good price point. OTOH if you are thinking of getting into technical diving I would say get another B2 or a couple Z2s or M1s.

For technical diving, B2 isn't a good choice either. Ti isn't a preferable metal. And the 2nd stage comfort swivel will need to be gone. I think M1 or Z2 with 1st stage turret will be a good choice for that purple.

I'm still waiting to see what the price of these regs will be "at cost" so a lot depends on that, but based on what I've read here I'll probably get a pair of ST1s and maybe a Z2. If the price is really right I might spring for one of the T models for when I travel. I just don't need more regs that will begin chipping in another 5 years.

hmm, from cost point of view, replacing the brass yoke retainer is the best way to go. But of course, if money is not issues, Ti is cool

I have the T3. You should get one as well. I bought it because I really wanted to impress everyone on the boat. No one has ever thought I was cool but I'm pretty sure they do now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom