Where's the best diving in the Carribean during winter months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobinT, I think it's pretty obvious that HE didn't do the choosing! He's being taken on a vacay by his grandmother (not a diver), along with his mother (a diver) and a sister (not a diver). Guess who's point of view prevailed?

Lol yes that is it exactly, my grandmother was looking for places to take us and the most affordable and best deal turned out to be cancun.

Scratch Aruba and Jamaica off your list entirely, those are not dive destinations, they are party destinations where you can do a dive or two.

Just as a counterpoint, we found diving in Aruba to be quite nice. Lots of wrecks to dive.

Lol yes that is it exactly, my grandmother was looking for places to take us and the most affordable and best deal turned out to be cancun.

Well you can schedule a trip out to Isla Mujeres or a day in Cozumel for some good diving. A short ways south of Cancun gets you to Puertos Morelos which has a protected reef and some excellent diving. There are a few diveshops right by the bay in the town.
Further down the road, but worth a visit is Playa del Carmen where there are a ton of dive ops and the ferry to Coz.

Cancun has beautiful water and waves and white powder beaches with massive, but luxurious resort hotels. It will be a great trip.

My first dive trip after I got certified was Cozumel. Granted that I had no perspective, as it was my first dive trip, but I thought the diving was great, except that the currents on the "shallow" dives (50 feet or so, after an 80-foot first dive of the day) were very strong and I had a hard time staying with my group. Cozumel also has the advantage of being easy to get to, unlike some popular places that involve 12- or 16-hour flights.

Cozumel is hard to beat for a Caribbean destination--ease of access, great viz, underwater topography, sealife, topside activities, cenote dives on the mainland, value for money, variety of accommodation and food. Bull Shark dives off of Playa in December, Whale Shark snorkelling during the summer off of Isla Mujeres. See attached video.

YouTube - Explore colorful Cozumel, Mexico

video can be viewed in 720p HD.
Enjoy!

Cozumel is a beautiful place to dive. The reefs,caves,fish are amazing.
Dive with Scuba Mao! Affordable/fun crew.

Yeah I was looking at using scorpio divers someone suggested them on this forum. They have dives in Cozumel, Puertos Morelos, and others. They do have one of those bull shark dives also at Playa del Carmen. Anyone ever done one?

Yeah I was looking at using scorpio divers someone suggested them on this forum. They have dives in Cozumel, Puertos Morelos, and others. They do have one of those bull shark dives also at Playa del Carmen. Anyone ever done one?

I would suggest you post this question down on the Mexico Forum - you will get lots of responses. Also, do a search on that forum and you will get lots of reports from last year.

robin:D

Cozumel is almost always cheaper - than about anywhere else....
It can be even cheaper if you fly into Cancun and take the ferry.
Blah! Wait for bus, spend over an hour on bus, drag bags to ferry dock, wait for ferry, 45 minutes ride, drag bags to street, return: bus tickets, ferry tickets - you have to save a lot to make that worthwhile. But you have more flight so to chose from, too.
So it turns out we're going to Cancun.
Not the best but it'll work. More for the non-divers to do. A day trip to Chichen Itza & Ek Balam ruins would be neat.

Back
Top Bottom