Where's the best diving in the Carribean during winter months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ltkenbo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where's the best place in your opinion to dive in the Caribbean during December-January? I've looked into Cayman Islands, Aruba, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamas, and Jamaica but can't find anything that really says which ones are the best...

Looking mainly for reefs with many beautiful corals and fish...

Where's the best place in your opinion to dive in the Caribbean during December-January? I've looked into Cayman Islands, Aruba, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamas, and Jamaica but can't find anything that really says which ones are the best...

Looking mainly for reefs with many beautiful corals and fish...

Most are weather dependant ie US cold fronts making it down there----roll the dice & pick one IMO....

Yeah but which ones have the best reef scenery?

We just about froze to death for 3 days of our 8 day trip in December a few years ago. Come to find out, the weather was just as cold the previous
year at that particular time.

Hit a norther in Cozumel in January more recently that shut down the caleta one day and our dive shop for a day so lost two days out of that trip too.

I guess I'd go for Bonaire. ~

I guess I'd go for Bonaire. ~

Right on! I have been to Bonaire a number of times and it's my first and pretty much only choice for the December - February time frame. It's far enough south that cold weather is not an option. Actually, the weather is perfect in Bonaire in January and February. High's usually in the 80's with night time temps in the low 70's. It also seems to me that the bugs aren't as bad in those months as other times in Bonaire.

If you go there I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed in the weather or the reefs!

I would also say Bonaire during those months.
Scratch Aruba and Jamaica off your list entirely, those are not dive destinations, they are party destinations where you can do a dive or two. Reefs there are not as nice as the other destinations.

You have to realize that the Caribbean has winter, just like the US, but the farther south you go, the milder it will be. Water will not be as warm (high 70s) as summer months (low 80s), but still warmer than farther north areas of Caribbean. Also, less likely to get those ugly storms that seem to hit the Caribbean in winter with winds that cause rough seas, thus canceling diving for the day.

Cozumel also has great reefs but you are really taking a chance going during winter. Sometimes the seas are fine, but sometimes they get windy weather and water temps will be in mid-70s.

robin

Ok, so I'm partial, since I live here now, but when we used to live in the USA, hands down Bonaire. We have been to a couple of the other places mentioned and for diving its Bonaire. NOW YOU HAVE TO REALIZE BONAIRE IS NOT "AMERICANIZED". The majority of the people speak English, effective 1 January 2011 we will be using US currency, but our CULTURE and TRADITIONS are more on a European Caribbean way. It is an AMAZING WONDERFUL RELAXING dive destination and I think you would absolutely love it!

You might also want to check into San Andres and Old Providence for those months. They are just as far south as the ABC Islands and get the same warm weather. I personally have not visited Bonaire to compare but according to people I have talked with San Andres and Old Providence has a better healthier reef system. I can tell you the reefs are healthier than the ones I have seen in the Dry Tortugas, which I would consider the best diving, by far, in America for reefs and fish. Old Providence has 2 to 3 times the fish and reefs than San Andres which is over fished.

This trip is going to be with my family (my grandmother is taking me my mother and my sister though my mom and I will be the only ones scuba diving). My grandma was also looking at a really good deals on trip to Cozumel, Mexico. So between Bonaire and Cozumel, which one do you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom