Where's our winter viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'm guessing either early September when we had that awesome vis, or early August when we had vis that was just as good . . . but my first guess is September.

Semi-correct: August, ie: summer.

That is the funny thing about Puget Sound:

Summer is usually the time when we have reduced visibility due to algae and plankton growth but there are times when we have >70' visibility along with abundant light. During those times we get a plenary view of dives sites we are accustomed to navigating by landmark and Braille.

Winter is usually the best time for decent visibility but during times of high run off and/or high wind caused turbidity, the visibility can be some of the worse.... zero in some cases.

I expect things to clear up a bit in January.

The subtle hints re ambient light caught my attention, we don't have ambient light in the winter time . . . :D

Best vis I've seen so far was that time in August, right around the second weekend. I missed the September vis because of work, but there were a few dives in August (my mid-water nav dive in Bob's AOW class) where you could see the whole layout of Cove 2, like look up from the I-beams and see the pilings out in the distance, or see all of the Honey Bear sticking up like the boat wreck it is, rather than just the stern or some part of it in the murk.

This was the same time when Lynne did a dive at Three Tree that she called "tropical" in terms of vis.

I realized that last year, I hardly dove in December because my dry suit was being repaired, so I don't have any prior experience with which to compare what's going on now. Definitely the best visibility I've had locally was this summer, on a dive with Bob at Three Tree where we could almost literally see forever -- Well over 40 feet, and we watched the sunlight dancing on the pebbles at 70 fsw.

What's OE2X doing so far out of trim???? :D

BTW, Uncle Pug, thos picks make me long for good vis. It really is such a treat . . .

Hopefully we get some up in Nanaimo MLK weekend. I have to remember to tell Bob that he is NOT allowed to bring Junior . . . :D

I dove cove 2 last night and Muk Sunday morning. Vis was not great at either one; 5-10 feet, maybe a bit more below 100'. And I had a great time on both dives. Saw baby octos, ling, cabezon, and just had fun. Actually, some of my favorite dives have been in marginal vis- it doesn't bother me too much. When it really closes down below 5', that's about my limit. It makes keeping track of your buddy too challenging to be much fun, and I don't like having to press my compass and gauges up to my mask in order to read them

TSandM:
What's OE2X doing so far out of trim???? :D
Simple ... he's so used to swimming on his back that he got out of practice doing it the other way ... either that or it's suppertime and he's giving thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do those logs run roughly north-south, with Jock facing north? If so, I'd say about 10-11 am or so.

Alternatively, things are flipped, and it is late afternoon. I'm not so familiar with the log piles down there to nail exactly where that is.

If the I-beams were the same day, I'd have to put it a little before noon, so my 11 am guess becomes more likely.

Or, I coudl be totally off . . .

Back
Top Bottom