Where's our winter viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. I'm coping with temperatures in the forties. I'm coping with gearing up in the rain. I'm coping with having all the showers turned off.

But where's the quid pro quo? Where's our winter viz? I mean, winter's the time when there's not much to see, but you can see ALL of it, right? What's up with the six or eight feet of viz we had at Titlow yesterday? Algae blooms in midwinter? It can't all be the storms from November any more, can it?

And tomorrow I'm night diving Cove 2, which means we'll be seal-dogged and have our own private siltout to enjoy . . . Yes, I'm whining :)

TSandM:
? Algae blooms in midwinter? It can't all be the storms from November any more, can it?

And tomorrow I'm night diving Cove 2, which means we'll be seal-dogged and have our own private siltout to enjoy . . . Yes, I'm whining :)

Note that there are no stringy things in the water like summer time, so it isn't algae . . . apparently it takes a long time to get the fine silt to settle out.

And, the damn seals don't help much. I wonder if they are making it down to Cove 3, I'm feeling like another night dive to the monolith may be in order.

dsteding:
I wonder if they are making it down to Cove 3, I'm feeling like another night dive to the monolith may be in order.

I dove Cove 3 for the first time last weekend and the person I was diving with who has dove there before, had never heard of this monolith. Any hints as to where it is so that someone who hasn't seen it might be able to find it?

Thanks

In about 90-100 feet of water, straight out from the beach. Others might be able to give you better directions.

The way I got there was to run downslope on a ENE heading until we hit two lines that the 5thD crew has run which go N-S and are at about 85 feet. Hang a right, follow the lines, and you should run into it. The two lines come together at the Monolith, so if they are getting further apart you are going the wrong way. Also, it has been a month or so since I did this dive, so I'm not sure if the lines are in place. Lamont might be able to give you better directions. It is apparently a big boiler that has fallen off a barge or something.

The way I got there involved 15-20 minutes in the 85-100 feet range, so be mindful of gas planning. Our team was all wearing doubles and breathing 32%. Running low on gas while rooting around for the thing could mean a free ascent from 100 feet . . .

TSandM,
AL Gore said that there would be no vis in the PNW due to gloabl warming, didn't ya see that in his movie "The Convenient Lie"???
now, that was just a joke........
don't worry, you will have some good vis once you come here, promise..........

coachrenz:
I dove Cove 3 for the first time last weekend and the person I was diving with who has dove there before, had never heard of this monolith. Any hints as to where it is so that someone who hasn't seen it might be able to find it?

Thanks
Um ... if you're looking for the monolith in Cove 3 you'll never find it ... it's in Cove 1.

FWIW - vis was so bad on Saturday that I rescheduled my AOW class's Search and Recovery dive ... I want them to have a chance of finding my lost objects.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Visibility at Sund Rock on Hood Canal was outstanding. At least 40ft...kinda spooky to be able to actually "see" all of it. Found a small Octo, several Wolfies, tons of fish and some big Ling.
Great dive.
K

NWGratefulDiver:
Um ... if you're looking for the monolith in Cove 3 you'll never find it ... it's in Cove 1.

FWIW - vis was so bad on Saturday that I rescheduled my AOW class's Search and Recovery dive ... I want them to have a chance of finding my lost objects.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm an idiot sometimes. Take my directions, apply them to Cove 1.

Maybe the winter vis will come when winter does. I know you PNW folks have already gotten some good snow, but it's still autumn.

I heard that the viz at Edmonds was 20' or so on Saturday, but I didn't get to check it myself...my buddy's neck seal ripped as he was putting on his suit, so we never made it into the water. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom