Where to cavern dive with doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sclakediver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all, I did a search and came up empty handed. My friend and I are both cavern certified and would like to take basic cave in the spring.

We both dive doubles in OW and plan on taking the class in doubles. I have been told that Ginnie will not allow it. Does this include the Ball Room?

Any suggestions on where to cavern dive with doubles in the High Springs area?

Thanks.

Unless the rules changed, I believe you can take whatever you want into the ballroom. It's Devil's you can't go near. Other than that, there is no restriction anywhere else. Just remember, when diving doubles, it's the rule of 1/6s, not 1/3s.

I think Buford, Manatee, Little River, Jackson Blue, and Peacock all make better cavern dives than Devils, and they don't have the doubles policy that Ginnie does.

Last edited:
If you choose to dive doubles at Devils not certified to do so and get caught you are subject to being kicked out of the park.

We should all try to live by the rules that the landowners have to foster good landowner relations between us as cave divers and those who allow us access to their property for cave diving. Bending and breaking these rules really does more harm than good in the Big Picture of things.

Jim Wyatt
NSS-CDS Safety Officer

If you choose to dive doubles at Devils not certified to do so and get caught you are subject to being kicked out of the park.

We should all try to live by the rules that the landowners have to foster good landowner relations between us as cave divers and those who allow us access to their property for cave diving. Bending and breaking these rules really does more harm than good in the Big Picture of things.

Jim Wyatt
NSS-CDS Safety Officer

I agree 100%. I have worked very hard in getting several sites open, and it is hard to negotiate with land owners when cave divers are thought upon as people circumventing the rules. The Ginnie staff and park staff at FL state parks actively read our forums,because I get questioned all the time about things they read,and even though we consider a particular item as a joke,they take it seriously. I say kudos to those that want to get experience in doubles and are inquiring about places they can go,but parking in a particular area to hide from security does not help to foster new rules that could change a policy.

There are plenty of caverns to dive in doubles that you don't need to sneak around at Ginnie. Eric is a great guy, and has helped me out on more than one occasion. I see no reason to try to pull a fast one on him.

The cavern at Peacock (P1) is looking exceptionally nice these days. Haven't been in OG lately, but I'm sure it is in good shape if P1 is.
Jug Hole is one of the most beautiful cavern dives IMHO. Just be sure to bring a cart for the 1/2 mile walk from the parking lot to the basin. I could not imagine walking that in doubles.
I've always enjoyed the caverns at Manatee.
I've not been farther north than Peacock, so I can't speak for Madison or Jackson Blue, but from the photos I've seen they look awesome.

I think that it's great that you are wanting to get this experience before your class. I was surprised when talking to a number of cave instructors how many people show up for Apprentice and it is their first dive in doubles. Can't imagine what a nightmare that would be.

Enjoy!!

PS - I've got recent photos up for Jug Hole and Peacock on my site at http://www.doncurriephotos.com

I have always found the Ginnie pretty much allows you to do what you like. (within training and reason of course)

Especially if you show up early in the morning. They sleep kinda late there.

madison is a lovely cavern dive. there are enough places where doubles are fine that also don't cost $30 a day - skip ginnie for right now.

orange grove was of course very duck-weedy when i was there 3 weeks ago, but the cavern was clear & nice if you have good lights. i dunno if the sun counts as a primary light through duck weed. :eyebrow:

Jackson Blue, Morrison(should reopen soon), Cypress, Vortex, Madison, Peacock/OG, Paradise, Blue Grotto, and Ginnie ballroom are the well known ones.

Thank you for the replies. We're looking for places that we can Cavern dive with doubles, without getting in trouble. We will not be diving above our level of training, and are not looking for a place to sneak in. We're just looking for places to practice and have fun while doing it.

I think Orange grove is high on our list, we've been there before, and like the large cavern. We didn't dive Peacock I, but we'll probably check it out this time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom