Where to cavern dive with doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peacock has a beautiful cavern, unfortunately it has already gone back to the way it was before Inkdiver took those nice shots -- there's a sickly green glow as you return to the cavern. Nothing at all like the clear photos that were posted. :( My team and I were really hoping to see water that clear in the basin. Thankfully as soon as you dropped into the cavern things cleared right up.

Peacock has a beautiful cavern, unfortunately it has already gone back to the way it was before Inkdiver took those nice shots -- there's a sickly green glow as you return to the cavern. Nothing at all like the clear photos that were posted. :( My team and I were really hoping to see water that clear in the basin. Thankfully as soon as you dropped into the cavern things cleared right up.

That's a bummer. The cavern was so beautiful the day we got those shots. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback.

really? :(

Of the caverns mentioned in the North Central Florida area I think Ginnie cavern is the best choice for several reasons.

If you are practicing to become proficient in doubles this cavern is much less silty than any of the rest such as Orange Grove & Peacock I. While being in a silt out should not cause you undue problems it is rather rude to blow the cavern out for everyone else.

The cavern at Ginnie has coarse sand as a bottom feature and settles out very quickly so that errant fin kicks and less than good technique will not mess the diving up for everyone else. There is good flow in there and consequently provides a good place for practicing diving in higher flow. Depth is about 55 feet maximum and the water is pretty near Gin clear....thus the name Ginnie.

When I first started diving Ginnie the name was Jenny, circa 1973. There is now a grate in the cavern that blocks the entrance to the cave. We made a good many dives back in there back in the day & found it to be very small and circumfluous with a clay/silty bottom. At one point 3 college students ventured into the cave there and perished together.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom