Where to carry a finger reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealionesse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had to buy a a wreck reel for diving off a certain boat and was told a finger reel would suffice. Looking at it on dry land it's okay; but I can't think of a way to hook it onto a D ring without it potentially unraveling underwater. With my old BC, I would just put it in my pocket most likely. But with my new backplate, I have no pockets. Any suggestions on what to do with the reel? The only thing I can come up with is buying pockets for my wetsuit and gluing them on.

Thanks! :D

I had to buy a a wreck reel for diving off a certain boat and was told a finger reel would suffice. Looking at it on dry land it's okay; but I can't think of a way to hook it onto a D ring without it potentially unraveling underwater. With my old BC, I would just put it in my pocket most likely. But with my new backplate, I have no pockets. Any suggestions on what to do with the reel? The only thing I can come up with is buying pockets for my wetsuit and gluing them on.

Thanks! :D

I assume you are talking about what many of us would call a spool. I keep mine in a pocket. If I am using a dry suit, it is a pocket on the thigh of my dry suit. If I am diving with a wet suit, I wear shorts with large pockets over the top. Mine are made by XS Scuba.

I do it like this:

3.jpg

If it's tightened enough, it won't unravel. The other end of the double ender (or even the same end) goes onto a D ring.

I'm sure there's lots of good reasons not to do it that way though, which people will explain in great lengths.

If it's tightened enough, it won't unravel. The other end of the double ender (or even the same end) goes onto a D ring.

I'm sure there's lots of good reasons not to do it that way though, which people will explain in great lengths.

Can't think of a reason not to put on a d-ring, assuming no pocket available. Do this all they time, never had a problem. Would only clip to a hip or butt though. I would not clip it off by using the same end of the dog-bone that is clipped to the spool. Too much possibility that the line (or spool) could come off while clipping/unclipping.

I do it like this:

I've had it pop off way too many times to do it that way. I've been shown a way to double loop the line through the spool and then clip the double ender to that. Seems to work a lot better. I don't have a picture though.

I use my butt dring to carry it with my sausage.

Rig it just like dfx shows, though sufficent line tension is important to avoid what chrpai mentions. Looping it through the spool sounds more complicated than I'd like, but maybe it's simpler than I'm imagining?

Either way, if you have pockets, it goes in there and gets clipped off to a bungiee loop or d-ring inside the pocket. If you don't have pockets, clip it to your butt d-ring.

JamesR and RobertW showed it to me. I have a little woody knot on the end of my line and when I pass it through it creates a couple of small loops that the double ender clips on to. Really solid.

Right waist D-ring or butt d-ring.
I would not keep it tied as shown on picture. I have two loops at the end of the line, 1 big one and 1 small at the very end. I slip the small loop through a hole on the spool and double secure it through the boltsnap. This prevents any unwanted opening of the boltsnap and release of the spool.

+1 Butt D-ring.

If carried/secured with a double-ender, it needs to be part of your pre-dive check. The double-ender can work itself open and unravel the spool behind you. If you dive in circumstances where that is a potential risk, rather than an annoyance, then you need a more sophisticated method of securing the spool.

For example:

Narc'ed Diving: Finger Spool: Securing the Line

P1250082.JPG
P1250083.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom