Where to buy hardware?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nadwidny:
Living in Canada it's usually much easier to toss things and chalk it up to experience than to deal with the shipping, customs, etc. etc. That's why it's we like things to be right the first time.
Sure. But toll free calls and emails don't cost a thing. At least give them the chance to fix things for you. Maybe it'll work out, maybe not. But I'd rather have a story about a company that took care of me (or refused to, for future reference) than a story about not even trying and tossing the gear in the trash, and then warning others.

CompuDude:
Sure. But toll free calls and emails don't cost a thing. At least give them the chance to fix things for you. Maybe it'll work out, maybe not. But I'd rather have a story about a company that took care of me (or refused to, for future reference) than a story about not even trying and tossing the gear in the trash, and then warning others.

Good for you. Give yourself a cookie. I'd rather it was done right the first time because my time is valuable. Quality control should start at the beginning, not the end.

If someone wants recommendations for tanks, analyzers, hoses, valve kits or anything else I bought from Joel I would be more than happy to oblige. But the fact is I ordered some snaps and they were crap. So I let people know because they asked.

nadwidny:
Good for you. Give yourself a cookie. I'd rather it was done right the first time because my time is valuable. Quality control should start at the beginning, not the end.

If someone wants recommendations for tanks, analyzers, hoses, valve kits or anything else I bought from Joel I would be more than happy to oblige. But the fact is I ordered some snaps and they were crap. So I let people know because they asked.
Gee, was the snarkiness really called for? Having a bad day?

We're talking about clips, for gods sake. I'd like to know what company you're buying from (and what you're paying as a result) that sits there and spends 10 minutes working EACH clip they sell back and forth, just to make sure it's 100% perfect for you. I have high expectations, too, but geez, how much profit do you think there really is on an item that's $4?

I have gotten shoddy clips from just about every place I've ever bought them. Sometimes I've paid more locally just to be able to try them out first. Feel like an *** taking everyone off the wall, but I was sick of futzing around with a bunch of sticky ones.

Good thing they never wear out.

I buy a lot of double enders, and somewhat lesser numbers of single ended bolt snaps.

These are for resale.

I've sourced them from a variety of places, but 3 vendors sell me the bulk of what I buy.

In the last year I have noticed that a small but not insignificant number from all sources have been a bit "sticky"

I would guess that these parts are all from the same manufacturer, or at least from the same forging dies.

We have started to inspect each snap, and cull out the sticky ones, but I would not be surprised if a few less than perfect ones slipped through before we became aware of the problem.

I would not be aware of the problem if a customer had not reported it to me. I need to know if there is a problem, or I can't correct it.

Tobin

CompuDude:
Gee, was the snarkiness really called for? Having a bad day?

Every day is a bad day. I like it that way. It makes me happy.

We're talking about clips, for gods sake. I'd like to know what company you're buying from (and what you're paying as a result) that sits there and spends 10 minutes working EACH clip they sell back and forth, just to make sure it's 100% perfect for you. I have high expectations, too, but geez, how much profit do you think there really is on an item that's $4?

Looks like more snarkiness is being called for... Don't be ridiculous. It doesn't take 10 minutes to check a snap. It takes 5-10 seconds. And yes, when I buy something I would appreciate it if it worked when I got it. I don't give a rat's azz how much profit there is or isn't.

nadwidny:
Every day is a bad day. I like it that way. It makes me happy.

Brian,

My experience has been, until recently, getting a bad snap was pretty unusual, if they were purchased from a reliable vendor.

We would spot check the goods we recieved, but we did not do a 100% inspection on every batch we recieved. We too relied on our vendors to provide consistently good product.

Recently this has changed. Regardless of vendor there seems to be QC problem with bolt snaps. My sources are typically nothing more than "brokers" for off shore "trading houses" Reboxing the goods is about all the "value added" these brokers do, often they don't even open the cartons they recieve.

If there was a domestic Six Sigma source for SS bolt snaps I'd buy em, but I haven't found one yet.

Now that I'm aware that there is a 2-3% problem rate we have begun to inspect 100% of the snaps we ship. It's not difficult, but the guys in the shipping department had to be made aware of the need.

My goal is to deliver defect free goods 100% of the time. I will always fall a bit short, and I need the help of my customers to help me correct the problems. The sooner I know about a problem the sooner we can act to correct it.

Regards,

Tobin

Hi Compudude:

Often, American 1-800 toll free phone numbers don't work in Canada.

I do understand that toll free lines are an expense for a company, and some may choose to limit their expenses by limiting the areas they are willing to accept toll free calls from.

I'd like it if companies would list direct dial numbers as well as their 1-800 lines, then I'd have a choice of paying on my dime for the call, or not getting through at all.

(Not referring to any one specific company or bolt snap distributor here.)

shoredivr:
Hi Compudude:

Often, American 1-800 toll free phone numbers don't work in Canada.

I do understand that toll free lines are an expense for a company, and some may choose to limit their expenses by limiting the areas they are willing to accept toll free calls from.

I'd like it if companies would list direct dial numbers as well as their 1-800 lines, then I'd have a choice of paying on my dime for the call, or not getting through at all.

(Not referring to any one specific company or bolt snap distributor here.)

No email either?

Tobin

Hi Tobin

Sometimes all you get on a piece of advertising or letter from a company is the 1-800 number to call. I've seen that on credit card offers, for example.

Sure if I have internet access at that point, I could look up the company's website.

I'd just like all contact information to be available. I'll stop whining about it now :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom