Where to buy hardware?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies, I'll check these out. I didn't mention the place I ordered from as I don't think it was necessary. There are a lot of people on this board that are very happy with them and I think one or two actually work there. I did mention DSS and Scubatoys though because I think outstanding service should always be recognized.

Later, Hawk.

stefusa:
I will continue the question...
And for SS springs ?? Because 80$ at my LDS for spring straps... come on !!!!!
Home depot here have almost nothing in stainless steel, what a shame...
thanks

I agree. Check this site out. This is on my DIY list as well.

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/fins/sprstrps.htm

nadwidny:
I'm reluctant to trash TDL but in this case I have to. The snaps I got from TDL weren't quite up to snuff. I threw one of them in the garbage immediately after I got it. The other lasted a bit longer but it too is in the trash. The reason? They were PsOS.

Can you expand on why the ones you ordered from TDL were POS's? Were they molded poorly? Did the springs rust? Did they not swivel properly? Did they gum up?

I ordered the "multi-pack" from Nix Dog Collars in the past, and was very satisfied with the product. The service I received was also exceptional, as I had a problem with the order, and he fixed it immediately.
Mike

Tanked Monkey:
Can you expand on why the ones you ordered from TDL were POS's? Were they molded poorly? Did the springs rust? Did they not swivel properly? Did they gum up?

I guess both suffered from a molding problem. The one I tossed immediately was pretty much jammed closed from the get-go. The other one lasted a bit longer but it was fussy if there was movement other than completely straight up and down.

cmalinowski:
must agree about nix (http://216.36.250.99/nixdogcollars/DIVING_SNAPS.html). Although, TDL is a good source for stuff and I trust joel.

Chris

Nix is a buyer beware sort of place. I usually order snaps in few dozen lots. I have ordered from them twice. One lot was perfect, the other required me to junk almost every snap after getting sick of them jamming closed and being unable to rehabilitate them.

nadwidny:
I guess both suffered from a molding problem. The one I tossed immediately was pretty much jammed closed from the get-go. The other one lasted a bit longer but it was fussy if there was movement other than completely straight up and down.

It seems like this was just an error in the batch or something. I just ordred several of these from TDL along with drygloves and recieved them yesterday. Only one was in the package but I ordered 3, and they were going to ship today. Great customer service. The swivel works fine and the bolt does too. I havent tried them out yet but they look good so far.

I've had a few bolt snaps from a variety of sources that were imperfect. The reality is today almost all of this type thing is made in China, and everybody is well served to inspect the bolt snaps they plan to use before they get in the water.

If you have sticky bolt snap, and want to invest the time you can put a little lapping compound in the offending joint (slide or swivel) and work it until the action improves. Make sure to rince out all the lapping compound.

Better is one that works from the get go.

Tobin

nadwidny:
I'm reluctant to trash TDL but in this case I have to. The snaps I got from TDL weren't quite up to snuff. I threw one of them in the garbage immediately after I got it. The other lasted a bit longer but it too is in the trash. The reason? They were PsOS.

I've had very good luck with the snaps I've gotten from Bosun Supply (www.bosunsupplies.com)out of Maryland. I've never dealt with Nix but given the recommendations by folks I would probably give them a try.
I believe you, but I wonder if you just got some bad ones, too. Did you give the folks at TechDivingLimited a call, or just toss them? Perhaps they'd help you out; TDL's customer service is top notch. I've had great luck with all my snaps from them, and always recommend them. They have sales periodically, too, so I stock up whenever they do.

CompuDude:
I believe you, but I wonder if you just got some bad ones, too. Did you give the folks at TechDivingLimited a call, or just toss them? Perhaps they'd help you out; TDL's customer service is top notch. I've had great luck with all my snaps from them, and always recommend them. They have sales periodically, too, so I stock up whenever they do.

Living in Canada it's usually much easier to toss things and chalk it up to experience than to deal with the shipping, customs, etc. etc. That's why it's we like things to be right the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom