Where the F*** can we get in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scuba-74 and I had looked at this site in January, the wind didn't cooperate so we ended up at Wetherill. Any helpful hints or advice, neither of us has been but it looks interesting.

Thanks, Ed

As stated above: Entry is not conducive to those that are not familiar or in good health.

That being said, I have done the walk multiple times wearing double 117's. So it is doable, just use caution. See picture below. It really is a great dive. White sand bottom, plenty of reefs. I leave the cove then head south toward the point where the light is.

20200516_215602.jpg

Thanks, we were on the right track. When we checked it out we did see the entry that you have marked out, we weren't entirely sure which way we would want to head out if we had dove it. Became a moot point with the west wind and whitecaps on that side of the peninsula that day.

How are the currents in that area generally?

I'm heading to the cape in the morning, I've never dove the cape before so hopefully a good dive.

You are a braver man than I, there is almost nothing that would get me in the water at the cape these days.

Thanks, we were on the right track. When we checked it out we did see the entry that you have marked out, we weren't entirely sure which way we would want to head out if we had dove it. Became a moot point with the west wind and whitecaps on that side of the peninsula that day.

How are the currents in that area generally?

The current there is part of the Long Island Race so slack is the safest and easiest time to dive there.

Didn't make it this morning, my spidey sense is telling me to hold off.

Back to original subject has anyone investigated other RI sites for access?

RI divers and risk loving out of state divers, I did some recon this AM thru the beautiful town of Narragansett, for the old and infirm like myself that seek easy in and out Pier 5 is open with plenty of parking. Not the greatest site but it is wet.
For the young, bold and healthy Hazard Av and Newton Av are open with parking both these sites are more difficult then Beavertail and have taken some divers and anglers thru the years. Newton Av has a emergency phone near the parking spots for use when an angler gets swept into the water. So be careful.

Here's a picture of Newton Av. South SW winds make this site dangerous so plan accordingly. When I dove there regularly my rule was any swells over 1foot no-go. If ya don't know what all the black stuff on the rocks is, you'll find out when one step on it! Dive there at High tide slack only and be out before the tide turns or you'll be slipping back into the water.
Newton Ave..jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom