Where the F*** can we get in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
We are rapidly approaching May. My tanks are getting visuals and my Drysuit is getting worked on. The question is which dive sites are available. CT has not closed its beaches, but that doesn’t mean we go diving. What sites have people driven by that look like they would be accessible?

In CT
Stonington Point?
Can we park or is it roped off by the town?

Avery Point in Groton?
I have not dived here in ten years, but is there any shore access from the campus or anywhere else?

Waterford/New London?
I tried a dive from a boat ramp years ago, and it was pretty crappy, but I am open minded.

RI
What are the parking NAZIs in Newport doing? Do they shoot to kill out of states drivers or are they just blocking Kings Beach? Green Bridge? Land’s End?

Narragansett?
Anyone hear any policies on shore diving?

Right now is a state of flux in RI after talking to one of my shops.

Supposedly the state parks are open with limited parking. What does limited parking mean, we have no idea. Also the 14 day quarantine law is still in effect so if law enforcement spots out of state plates there will we get arrested for violating it? Again unknown.

What's the entry like at bass rocks?

I know Hathaway pond on the cape is open.

What's the entry like at bass rocks?

Fairly manageable at high tide, less so at other times. There are large bolders underwater, that come too close to the surface or become exposed at low tide, and when I dove it last year, I had to roll over them, which wasn't pleasant.

Yesterday entered close to high tide without an issue. Got tossed around a bit on the exit though. It was a bit choppy, despite the site facing downwind.

Attachments

• D406F0EB-D8B8-4231-A5B7-6AF73143E99B.jpeg
    D406F0EB-D8B8-4231-A5B7-6AF73143E99B.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 82
Fairly manageable at high tide, less so at other times. There are large bolders underwater, that come too close to the surface or become exposed at low tide, and when I dove it last year, I had to roll over them, which wasn't pleasant.

Yesterday entered close to high tide without an issue. Got tossed around a bit on the exit though. It was a bit choppy, despite the site facing downwind.

Let me know if your up for going again, my gills are dry and I've got new dry gloves to test out.

I forgot to add above for RI perhaps @AfterDark or one of the other RI residents will scout out the parking situation and keep us updated.

Let me know if your up for going again, my gills are dry and I've got new dry gloves to test out.

I forgot to add above for RI perhaps @AfterDark or one of the other RI residents will scout out the parking situation and keep us updated.

@formernuke, Friday looks like it's the day of limited re-opening here in RI. What that means for out of state visitors I don't know, yet. I listen to Gina's daily pressers, she hasn't really said anything yet about rules and guidelines post opening which has me concerned that Friday maybe the day we hear 2 more weeks instead of opening.

My guess on limited parking is it's probably flexible, if it's get crowed they'll shut down the entrance until enough people leave. Or there could be cones setup every other parking spot, or areas roped off. Maybe I'll take a ride to FTW soon, see what's up.

I will certainly post any news, good or bad I get from Gina's communications that concerns out of state visits.

@formernuke, Friday looks like it's the day of limited re-opening here in RI. What that means for out of state visitors I don't know, yet. I listen to Gina's daily pressers, she hasn't really said anything yet about rules and guidelines post opening which has me concerned that Friday maybe the day we hear 2 more weeks instead of opening.

I will certainly post any news, good or bad I get from Gina's communications that concerns out of state visits.

Thanks I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates getting updates about being able to return to where I truly belong, underwater.

Stonington open.

Groton point at the Eastern Point Beach parking lot open.

Not much to see either way, Vis varies 5 to 15 as usual.

A few of my buddies spearfished the lighthouse at Westerly yesterday. No problems whatsoever.

Rhode Island State Parks

This link has what there is so far. Highlights, entrances to parks have been closed. There is a list of parks and locations
note: Kings Beach is NOT on any of the lists! Boat ramps NOT within state parks are open.

Stonington open.

Groton point at the Eastern Point Beach parking lot open.

Not much to see either way, Vis varies 5 to 15 as usual.

A few of my buddies spearfished the lighthouse at Westerly yesterday. No problems whatsoever.

Did they drive down to the water or walk?

Back
Top Bottom