Where is the outrage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Thank you for doing your level best to absolutely misunderstand, misconstrue, exaggerate, and be completely over the top, GM. I am suddenly reminded of why I quit visiting the Whine & Cheeze forum, and especially, quit entering into discussions with you. There are certainly other people more willing to engage in intelligent discourse. Take care.

Having been an officer (sometimes first) on the scene of more than one alchohol related motor vehicle accident (some with injury, some not, some fatal) I have rather strong feelings about being under the influence of any substance and driving.

yea, nothing like seeing it, right?

Any stats on non-alcohol related fatalities?

yea, it was kind of confusing because alcohol related was identified as ANY blood alcohol not just the legal limit, and not even identified as the "cause" just any alcohol whatsoever....

It looked like roughly 2/3rds were not, off the top of my head....varies over the years too. Of course, cars have gotten safer also.

Our local news reported tonight that the JCP school systems have had on an average of one school bus crash per day. School buses have NOT gotten any safer over the years. They estimate millions $ to upgrade buses with seat belts? If people just payed attention to the road and traffic laws would it be necessary? As a social drinker, true story, soccer mom pulls out in front of me, I'm doing 55mph the speed limit. She is on her cell phone, ignored a red light. If I had T-boned her suv and killed or injured the 3 kids in the back seat, who would have been at fault??? I wished we had public caneing that day, she put all our lives at risk. So. with this leftist attitude I'm not allowed to have a glass of wine at dinner at a fine restaurant? Am I a social outcast?
I've been driving for 35 years with one, non-moving violation, parking ticket. And I can tell you with no reservation I can dive better than most of these sober idiots I see on the road every day!

There is plenty of outrage. If you don't believe so, visit a MADD meeting.

The lobbying has been so effective you can't even have a beer or glass of wine at dinner. A .05 alcohol blood level can be achieve with as little of two glasses of wine for some.

I an not advocating drinking and driving, but I think there are a LOT of things that contribute to poor driving. I'm on a bus a couple hours a day, and I see all sorts of disturbing things. I'm thinking texting maybe more dangerous than mild drinking. Add the two together, and watch out. I saw a woman the other day driving with a magazine on her lap, on the phone, and applying eye makeup. :11:

Ironically our society does little to help those that don't want to drink and drive avoid it. For example, if I want to go out for drinks after work, I have to Drive into work because my last bus leaves for the day at 6:25pm.... HUH? :confused:

I tend to limit my happy hour after work (which I seldom partake in these days) to one beer, and on the bus by 5:30.

Where we live there is a whole network of folks who hang out at the local bars. Up here, if you are at a bar you are driving, or your buddy is. I seriously doubt these people have designated drivers, and I've seen some very trashed people leaving the bars in their cars. I always wonder how they avoid getting caught.

Unfortunately I think our police force is also a bit corrupt. I used to hang out with a few cops, and pounding down a few shots at the Fraternal Order of Police lodge seemed to be a nightly event. Granted, that's been a while. But cops NEVER gave COPS DUI's even if they deserved it.

I was once convicted of DUI. That was more than 25 years ago when I was 19. I was smashed and headed home when I hit a parked car. No insurance and lost my licence for 3 months. Since then I have never driven after having even one drink. The money it cost me then could have been put in the bank and paid for taking a taxi every time I have gone out for dinner and drinks for the rest of my life. Luckily, no one except me was injured but it was a big wake up call for me and thankfully I learned from it.

If someone can afford to go out drinking, why can't they afford to take a taxi? Killing someone because you don't want to pay for a taxi could end up costing you for the rest of your life.

Diver Dennis:
I was once convicted of DUI. That was more than 25 years ago when I was 19. I was smashed and headed home when I hit a parked car. No insurance and lost my licence for 3 months. Since then I have never driven after having even one drink. The money it cost me then could have been put in the bank and paid for taking a taxi every time I have gone out for dinner and drinks for the rest of my life. Luckily, no one except me was injured but it was a big wake up call for me and thankfully I learned from it.

If someone can afford to go out drinking, why can't they afford to take a taxi? Killing someone because you don't want to pay for a taxi could end up costing you for the rest of your life.

In the mountains where I live, we have no taxi service. No Taxi, no bus, no mass transit of any kind outside of rush hour. The buses we do have do NOT stop at the local bars to pick up patrons. Things up here are spread out, and I have no clue how people up here drink, and get home, but my thought is they drive drunk, and many likely on a regular basis.

Hence my previous comments about the fact that in many places nothing is done to encourage people to avoid their cars after some time in a bar. My policy is similar to yours, if I drink I don't dive. I may have a beer at 5:00pm, and then drive home from the Park and ride at 6:30pm but that is certainly safe.

I do agree with your comments Ron. There has to be a practical alternative to drinking and driving but the possible cost of what might happen if you do might make them think twice. It really can ruin your life.

* * * ADVISOR WARNING ! ! ! * * *
Gentlemen, keep this thread on topic and please refrain from argumentative posts.

The Kraken

Still, drinking is legal, smoking dope is not.

I'm not trying to be provocative, but do you really care that much what the law is?

Because I can't relate to the thinking that I would decide that way...there is a moral element, and a health element, but the fact that something is legal or not is further down the decision process. I mean, the law technically says all kinds of strange things about what you can do and what you cannot do.

They have just made too many laws, and it is getting to be like the tax code to get through life street legal. I mean, you cannot even leave your kids alone under 12----who really listens to all these laws? Nobody I know, and I am not exactly a big criminal.

I care a little, but more in terms of knowing the consequences. I still try and do the right things, but not really because of the "law". Personally, I think the legal system has discredited itself to a large degree. Not law enforcement as much as the politicians.

I think if kids are allowed to have a little wine at dinner, it is no big deal. I have always done that, and they have never even wanted it, probably because it is not this big forbidden thing and the people they see drink, do it responsibly.

I just don't think it is effective parenting that your kids "start drinking" at 21, when they are seniors in college and long gone from the parent's influence. I am just not willing to do that, and forfeit any wisdom/life advice I may have the opportunity to offer. What seems to work, IMV, is to stay relevant, and I agree, it is a very fine line (that is why it is so tough).

It was illegal to let her drive a car in a gated neighborhood before having a driving lesson with a stranger and a permit, but that doesn't mean it is not a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom